New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sambrutay
Advanced Member

United States
271 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2016 :  09:17:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, surely our fleet can't be the only one that struggles to keep the 90w in the axle housing instead of on the rear brakes. We have several 2015 model buses that have this problem with very few miles on them. but its not just the 15's. I mention them because we are having this problem when the bus is relatively new. This has been a common theme every since we first started purchasing them in 2011. We use Stemco seals in our fleet. C2 from the factory use CR seals. neither one works well. both leak. any ideas? anyone else see these problems?

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2016 :  10:15:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ditch those worthless seals and replace them with nationals.
had the same issues on my new HDX's. 3500 miles and i have leaking wheel seals? 90k miles later they are still perfect.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2016 :  6:15:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've used CR replacement seals for 20 years without any drama. When we do see an occasional leak it's on a 14-20 year old bus. Certainly not a new bus. Our last 60 CE's from 2006 to 2013 with air brakes have Meritor axles and whatever seal is OE must be pretty good because I've yet to change 1. I'm not even sure what seal is in there. The 14-20 year Thomas transit buses came with CR, and when replaced have been with CR.

Are these air brake buses?
Go to Top of Page

wrenchsnapper

27 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2016 :  6:38:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit wrenchsnapper's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We switched to CR scottseal plus about 20 years ago. Seal leaks are a very rare event. Dont ever use the regular green ones . Semifluid in the front hubs also prevent the fronts from ever leaking.
Go to Top of Page

sambrutay
Advanced Member

United States
271 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2016 :  03:37:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
these are air brake buses. brand new c2's. never had a problem with international buses. only these junk Thomas with Axle alliance crap.

Bruce

Edited by - sambrutay on 12/07/2016 03:57:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2016 :  03:46:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check you axle breather vent and make sure it is not plugged.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2016 :  05:13:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good point Ron.
Also, use the proper seal driver with the pilot adapter. The driver, handle and pilot should be supplied free to you for most seals. Don't forget the pilot, makes life so much easier.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2016 :  05:19:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wrenchsnapper

Semifluid in the front hubs also prevent the fronts from ever leaking.

Is this a brand name? I'd be interested to learn about something that doesn't seep out the front.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

sambrutay
Advanced Member

United States
271 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2016 :  05:27:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
axle breathers services every 36K, Seal drivers are provided by stemco. no problems with my International buses. just these C2 buses.

Bruce
Go to Top of Page

wrenchsnapper

27 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2016 :  1:13:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit wrenchsnapper's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

quote:
Originally posted by wrenchsnapper

Semifluid in the front hubs also prevent the fronts from ever leaking.

Is this a brand name? I'd be interested to learn about something that doesn't seep out the front.

Semifluid is the grease/oil that is used in long life wheel hubs on trailers. It has the consistancy of ketchup but will flow and can be poured into a hub . We use Mobilith SHC 007 which is expensive synthetic . A huge bonus is it cleans out like oil which saves time. You never have rust in the wheel ends like with grease and zero downtime from seal leaks. Its also used commonly in snow blower gear boxes and self contained manual steering boxes where no leaks and long life are required. I started using this stuff back in the 90's and will never put another hub together without it. Here is a video explaining the benefits. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMHFgBZtpr8

Edited by - wrenchsnapper on 12/13/2016 1:16:36 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000