Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 BB Vision entrance door
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mquiring

79 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2016 :  10:54:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit mquiring's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Does anybody know of a good aftermarket source for complete door frames or has anybody had luck using the repair pieces from TAC and welding them back together? I have one that is rusted out at the bottom and I checked with Bird and their door frames are pricey! Thanks!

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2016 :  11:09:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a body shop weld the repair pieces in and it looks great.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1316 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2016 :  12:16:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we have use the replacement bottoms on a few that have to be welded on it pretty simple to do once u get the door of snd havent had an issue with the ones we have done i would say wedid around 6 and they been on road in the rust belt mind u for about 3 years no problems yet
Go to Top of Page

g0ttadrift
Advanced Member

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2016 :  6:38:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yea, I agree with dsalinas....We have replaced numerous entrance door bottom plates. They just sandwich together and you tack weld them to the door at the ends. Hardest part is getting the window glass out. No need to take the door off either. We've been able to do them no problem leaving the door where it's at.
Go to Top of Page

mquiring

79 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2016 :  10:27:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit mquiring's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info, I was just nervous to order them just to find out that they were more work than they were worth. I think I'll give them a try. Out of 6 BB's with outward opening doors this is the first one I've ever had rust out, and its the newest of all of them!
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2016 :  3:13:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Drill a hole in your replacement panels and fill it with body wax. Use a rubber plug to cover the hole.

http://www.newyorkbussales.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/BODY-TECH-TIP-10-0610-Entrance-Door-Cavity-Wax.pdf

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2016 :  05:39:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bluebirdvision

Drill a hole in your replacement panels and fill it with body wax. Use a rubber plug to cover the hole.

http://www.newyorkbussales.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/BODY-TECH-TIP-10-0610-Entrance-Door-Cavity-Wax.pdf

Thanks for posting this! This is an awesome idea! I don't live in the rust belt but I have been seeing more rust issues as of late.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

exmod110

150 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2016 :  06:03:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit exmod110's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In Manitoba here and I have replaced all of our bb door bottoms at least once already. newest are 08's oldest 06's. I have a few FS65's that are needing them repaired soon too.
Go to Top of Page

g0ttadrift
Advanced Member

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2016 :  7:47:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@mquiring For anyone who doesn't know the cord trick to put the window glass back in, check out this video. The guy I work with showed me this and it makes these jobs so much easier. Concept is the same on a school bus, they just use a truck in the video. Hope this helps!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvcJ_lU_VpQ
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2016 :  05:36:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by g0ttadrift

@mquiring For anyone who doesn't know the cord trick to put the window glass back in, check out this video. The guy I work with showed me this and it makes these jobs so much easier. Concept is the same on a school bus, they just use a truck in the video. Hope this helps!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvcJ_lU_VpQ

Thanks for posting the video! I've heard of this but I don't recall seeing it done.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

exmod110

150 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2016 :  06:39:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit exmod110's Homepage  Reply with Quote
due to the design of the window and rubber, you can pull the cord enough to act cut into the rubber, take ur time and use lots of soapy water or other lube and its not bad to do. Have a helper the first couple times you try cause it can be a pain.
Go to Top of Page

eshover

146 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2016 :  07:32:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit eshover's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've done this for several years. when the retired mechanic showed me this it I started doing it this way. I use spray silicone on my windows. I tried the soap and water but it was really messy. Make sure you use a big enough cord as this will not cut the rubber as easily. Use recoil cord from a small engine rewind.
ED
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000