Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Floor Track and keeping it clean
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bfaulkner

168 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2016 :  09:17:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit bfaulkner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So we are here in the salty state of Michigan. As you know salt and aluminum do not mix well. You get the salty snow and water down into the L-Track on a S.Needs bus and it just starts dissolving.

We are sending one bus to have the entire floor replaced this upcoming spring because the tracks have dissolved so much the plywood is not rotten. We are also getting 2 new buses.

So the main point of discussion, how do you or do you have any ideas on how to prevent and clean the tracks? With steel bolts and hardware he problem seems unstoppable. we currently have the drivers sweep daily but the track is hard to get into. Also where seats and installed we cant remove them daily and clean them. I am open to any ideas you might have.

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2016 :  09:23:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't have a salt problem here but just got to thinking if there was some kind of neutralizer. Ever tried anything like this? http://shop.broncograveyard.com/Salt-_-Calcium-Chloride-Neutralizer-Gallon/productinfo/892073/ I don't know anything about it.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2016 :  09:54:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://commerce1.cera.net/tacbusparts/sections/catalog/catalog.asp?cat_id=1313 I've been filling in ALL unused/open areas of the tracks with the stuff show in the link. Drivers love it from a sweeping and mopping standpoint, I'm hoping it'll save the tracks too.

I keep hoping for a stainless steel track option one day.
Go to Top of Page

bfaulkner

168 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2016 :  11:27:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit bfaulkner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think ill try the track covers. Too bad i wont know how they work for a few years. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2016 :  11:48:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm in year 4 with them, so far so good BUT we've had easy winters too.
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2016 :  06:37:17 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
What year bus are you replacing track in? Since specing in coated track about 2006 I have had alot less work replacing track

The salt and galvanic corrosion are an issue on track in the rust belt.... I am in Michigan also and have track on all my buses....

My experience with the track cover has been the corrosion still happens you just can't see it... So I quit using it the water salt and dirt still manage to get in track and ends up staying there with cover over it...and can't be sweep out until it is removed.... I had more issues a few years ago and normally replaced track in at least 4 buses each year. At that time my bus salesperson recommended specing the anodized? Or coated track in bus bid.... That seems to have helped... track still corrodes but doesn't seem to be as fast...tracks are holding up alot longer now....

There are different grades of aluminum track also... So not sure if there is an option to add to bus bid to get a different aluminum composition that also helps ...I will ask my salesman next chance I get to see if he remembers..

Edited by - slippert on 12/01/2016 06:43:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

bfaulkner

168 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2016 :  11:08:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit bfaulkner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
in the replaced floor we told all 3 shops to find us the best possible floor track so I don't know what they have found. As for the new buses we are getting IC and the dealer said he didn't have any coated or alternatives to the standard track.
Go to Top of Page

ICBUS07-30

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2016 :  2:23:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We replaced our aisle strips 2 years ago and had to replace the again this year because there is nothing left.

Formally ICBUS0730
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2016 :  04:33:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I only buy plastic or stainless aisle trim anymore. New buses = no trim...the best solution!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000