New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2016 :  07:21:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last Monday I had a 2002 IC DT466E run out of Fuel- or so I thought.

Truck was idling, and just stopped. No DTC codes, would fire briefly, and then just die. Checked the fuel filter, and it was half full of air.
Filled up the filter with fuel, added about 10 gallons to the tank, and drove truck to the fueling station and added 23 more gallons to fill up. Truck had no more issues that day.

With an 80 gallon tank, and us adding approximately 33 gallons to it, I figured I had a bad/broken/cracked fuel pick-up tube- so I swapped it out.

The old tube looks fine, and held water in it all weekend (I have the end capped off, and filled it with water looking for evidence of a leak.)

A week later, and truck is running perfect- but hasn't been on a run that will use more than 30 gallons either. I'm a little afraid to run it far- as I don't feel very confident that I fixed the actual issue.

Anyone else run into something like this and have any idea of where I can look?

I plan on taking it for a really long test drive this morning, after it running all weekend without a fuel fillup and see what it does.

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2016 :  08:03:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
update:
I replaced the fuel pick up tube, and found no issues with the old one. The truck has been running great, but hasn't gone on a run that used 1/2 tank of fuel.

This past weekend, it went out both Saturday and Sunday- and then Monday morning while I was using it to jump start another truck, it apparently ran out of fuel. (Symptoms: truck shut itself off, hard knocking upon trying to restart, lots of white smoke, very rough idle until air bubbles worked out of fuel system.)
I pushed it to a more level spot in our yard, and got it running again, fairly easily. (anyone that has truly run a DT466e out of fuel knows what a pain they can be to get fired again.)
Once I got it going, I ran it around the parking lot for about an hour, and then around the block a few times. It sputtered a few times at the start of my making laps, but never died again on me.

On site fueling added 38 gallons last night.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Signed,
Out of fuel, out of ideas

:)
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2016 :  08:08:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
check your fuel lines right up to the fuel pump, ANY sign of dampness likely means a leak and is sucking air while running.
Go to Top of Page

jeeptjken

147 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2016 :  10:08:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
check the check valve inside the fuel filter housing I have had 2 of those that the spring wore thru the brass body of the valve and it would stick shut thus no fuel once I replaced it they ran fine and no further issues

How did you get the gosinta in the whatchamacallit
Go to Top of Page

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  11:20:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update for those interested:
rechecked and tightened all fuel connections (none were noticeably loose,) and replaced fuel filter- haven't had an issue since. Not sure what the actual issue was, but those two fixes took care of it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000