2009 IC bus code help
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2016 :  12:44:27 PM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have a 2009 Ic conventional with the DT 466 egr engine . Driver has had some warning lights come on . I used service maxx and got 2 codes . One is a 2681 says it's a EGT2 reading off compared to EGR1 and EGT3 Second is 2324 and it says engine stopped by IST .Now what does all this mean ? Thanks

namao

Canada
89 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2016 :  1:10:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit namao's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The 2681 is that the egt2 temp reading is way out compared to the other two sensors, the flow chart is testing the circuit and sensor. I work on a lot more lighter diesels but seem to change a lot of the temp sensors when this code comes up. Ford actually extended the warranty on the 6.7 because of there failure rates. doesn't seem to matter what make though.

Function
The EGT2 sensor provides a feedback signal to the ECM indicating Diesel Particulate Filter inlet temperature. Before and during a catalyst regeneration, the ECM will monitor this sensor along with the EGT1, EGT3, EGDP, EGRP and ITVP.

Sensor Location
The EGT2 sensor is the second exhaust temperature sensor installed down stream of the turbocharger. It is located between the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst and the Diesel Particulate Filter.

Tools

•EST with MasterDiagnostics® software
•EZ-Tech® interface cable
•Digital Multimeter (DMM)
•3-Banana Plug Harness
•Breakout Box
•Exhaust Temperature Breakout Harness
•Terminal Test Adapter Kit

EGT2 Sensor End Diagnostics

DTC
Condition
Possible Causes

EGT2 reading off compared to EGT1 and EGT3

EGT2 reading off compared to EGT1 and EGT3

•EGT2 biased circuit or sensor
•EGT2 sensor outside of exhaust system

The 2324 is just a code to indicate the engine had idled to its maximum allowed time and the ecm shut the engine down, there is not actually fault with the engine.

Fault Detection / Management

The IST DTC does not indicate a system fault. DTC 2324 is set by the ECM when the engine has been shutdown due to exceeding the programmed idle time. The IST feature must be enabled for DTC 2324 to be displayed.
Go to Top of Page

g0ttadrift
Advanced Member

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2016 :  3:37:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info namao. I like reading these threads for self-education purposes ;)
Go to Top of Page

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2016 :  04:06:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hook up Service Maxx in the morning while everything is cold. Most temp sensors are easy to find with all sensors at ambient temps.
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2016 :  04:35:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it legal to have idle timed shutdown on a school bus?
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2016 :  08:30:55 AM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for that info I agree I like seeing this kind of input .
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2016 :  11:19:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Second.flood, I think it is legal because of places like California that are very strict about excessive idling. There has to be certain requirements like park brake set, in neutral, and I believe that student lights cannot be activated so it doesn't shut down during a student stop. We have either turned ours off, or bumped up the time.

Valleybusman, good luck getting that sensor out without stripping threads. They are a royal pain.

Edited by - aaronwilmoth80911 on 11/18/2016 11:20:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2016 :  07:00:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good point aaron, good idea to run a tap to clean the thread before installing new one
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2016 :  08:39:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's if there is anything left to tap. We've had a number of them that we have had to replace the bungs on them.
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2016 :  09:10:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the warning, so far we have been lucky
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000