Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Wash bays
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

earl1412

101 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2016 :  3:00:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was searching for anyone using a dedicated wash bay for buses, only found an old 2008 thread of a do-it-yourself type flush system. My question, is anyone using a dedicated wash bay for your buses, and is it an automatic type with underwashing capability. I have been tasked with putting some sort of information/ cost figures for our CFO/ transportation board members, and thought I'd start here for any insight to this question.
I will continue to check the trade magazines for other avenues, but though you folks would have direct experience with something of this nature.
Thank you in advance,
earl1412

g0ttadrift
Advanced Member

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2016 :  6:43:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have a fleet of 90 buses. Although we do not have a dedicated wash bay, we do have a detatched, stand alone bu wash that does have the undercarriage wash system. It's heated, as we do experience winter and wouldn't want it to freeze. I don't have any cost figures, but I would recommend getting a touchless wash if going this route. Every time we open the bus wash up, we are replacing those 4" lower taillights, as the bus wash just rips them off if the driver doesn't keep driving through.
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2016 :  03:34:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are a few counties around me that have them. You could look them up and call or email them. Liberty county, Ga. Wayne County, Ga. Screven County, Ga.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2016 :  04:10:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What ever you do, get a wash bay with brushes. Don't waste your time with brushless washing they are worthless.
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2016 :  10:02:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^^^ I will second that. The shop in Liberty county Ga. has a brushless one. ( I use to work there)

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

earl1412

101 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2016 :  11:19:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your input, at least I have an idea the automatic washbays are worth looking into.
Being in south central Wisconsin, there is a critical need for underwashing, and just flushing off the brine that's used for road ice control.
I will check into the information you all sent.
Thanks again,
earl1412
Go to Top of Page

earl1412

101 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2016 :  12:26:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by g0ttadrift

We have a fleet of 90 buses. Although we do not have a dedicated wash bay, we do have a detatched, stand alone bu wash that does have the undercarriage wash system. It's heated, as we do experience winter and wouldn't want it to freeze. I don't have any cost figures, but I would recommend getting a touchless wash if going this route. Every time we open the bus wash up, we are replacing those 4" lower taillights, as the bus wash just rips them off if the driver doesn't keep driving through.

Does the company that made your system (who is it?) produce one the the bus doesn't need to drive through? I am not too happy with touchless units on passenger cars let alone the buses that get gritty from our roads, and heavy foundry environment.
Go to Top of Page

g0ttadrift
Advanced Member

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2016 :  1:44:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure, I've only been here 5 years and this thing has been here well before me.
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2016 :  3:56:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try Hanna:

http://colemanhanna.com/

They have in bay and drive through. We have a vintage 1985 drive through that has held up pretty good over 30 years (man I'm getting old!). We made ours so the spinning brushes didn't go around the front and rear of the buses and tear off mirrors and lights. The driver has to hand wash the front and back before driving through. Ours does rinse from below. When custom building you could add more than one lower bar; one to wash and one to rinse.

Several adjoining districts have brushless and I have not heard very many positives.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2016 :  05:14:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I find this topic interesting. How much money we talking on these units?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

earl1412

101 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2016 :  08:39:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

I find this topic interesting. How much money we talking on these units?

Seems like anywhere from 70,000 to over 100,000. That's just from a couple of vendors.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2016 :  11:04:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

ICBUS07-30

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2016 :  2:45:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have a dedicated wash bay but can only hand wash. We had a manual spinner type under washer that did a great job while it was working but always was breaking so our district just approved the funding for a floor mounted unit that will hopefully be installed in late December. It cost about 1700$ for pump and spray head.

Formally ICBUS0730

Edited by - ICBUS07-30 on 11/16/2016 2:47:53 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000