Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Stuck kingpin wedge...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KnuckleBuster76

45 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2016 :  12:05:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any ideas, fellow grease monkeys? Top wedge came out as smooth as a prom queen's thighs. The bottom one? Not so lucky. Threaded part snapped off deep inside. Was able to drill all the way through it, simple. Now... no amount of air (or regular) hammering will move it. Tried a torch, but can't get it close enough to the wedge to heat it before the torch tip gets hot. One of those "ready to get into a less frustrating line of work" issues.

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2016 :  12:18:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ive got lucky with pb blaster and an air hammer. try to hit the top and bottom of the king pin and maybe the vibration will help the penetrating oil to break it loose.
my harder idea...since you drilled all the way through it how hard would it be to tap and then use a bolt to pull it out? or all thread and sleeve or something.
p.s. work would be boring if everything was easy.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

jeeptjken

147 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2016 :  12:55:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a brave soul that uses vice grips to hold the drift punch while I swing the 10 lb maul we take the fender off so we have more room works good

How did you get the gosinta in the whatchamacallit
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2016 :  1:44:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Keep drilling with bigger drill bits until there is almost nothing left of it (assuming you drilled in the center of it). Then hammer it out, it'll collapse in itself. It has no choice LOL.. Works for me every time.
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2016 :  03:23:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What Joe said. At least one of four pins need to be drilled in my experience. No big deal.
After the king pin is out, use a hardened 7/16th bolt and tap out what's left of the wedge.
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2016 :  05:07:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^^^ All the above. Don't use heat.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000