Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 2010 IC fuel gauge issues
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2016 :  11:45:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have a 2010 IC CE that the fuel gauge does not read correctly. Sending unit has been replaced, but to no avail. Anyone run into this before? I'm wondering if it is maybe in the instrument cluster itself.

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2016 :  11:59:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Check the gauges with Diamond logic, gauge should point where you point. If you point it to half and it points to 1/4 then more than likely the gauge is bad.
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2016 :  12:38:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We'll give it a try. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

g0ttadrift
Advanced Member

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2016 :  6:17:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have about 10 07' International MaxForce FE buses and what we've come up with is the sending unit is too long and will catch on the baffles in the fuel tank. We've cut about 1.5-2" off the rod and we haven't had a problem since. They will usually read around half a tank when the driver calls in and says their bus shut off. (They don't like to admit when they run it out of fuel lol) This makes it nice because it usually takes around 10 gal of fuel to get an empty bus to start again. So if they ever do run the gauge on empty for awhile, it will have more in it then they think. (We don't tell them that though :D)
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2016 :  07:16:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by g0ttadrift

We have about 10 07' International MaxForce FE buses and what we've come up with is the sending unit is too long and will catch on the baffles in the fuel tank. We've cut about 1.5-2" off the rod and we haven't had a problem since. They will usually read around half a tank when the driver calls in and says their bus shut off. (They don't like to admit when they run it out of fuel lol) This makes it nice because it usually takes around 10 gal of fuel to get an empty bus to start again. So if they ever do run the gauge on empty for awhile, it will have more in it then they think. (We don't tell them that though :D)

when i first took over my operation i had a few drivers run out of fuel on several occasions. one told me that she new that she could drive her route all week and fill on friday. what she didnt know was that someone used her bus on a field trip, the bus died 200 yards away from school on the afternoon route, and she blamed the gauge. since then my policy has been that all buses will be fueled daily. whatever that gauge says is irrelevant if you know you have a full tank.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

Ryan5r

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2016 :  09:26:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by krmvcs

quote:
Originally posted by g0ttadrift

when i first took over my operation i had a few drivers run out of fuel on several occasions. one told me that she new that she could drive her route all week and fill on friday. what she didnt know was that someone used her bus on a field trip, the bus died 200 yards away from school on the afternoon route, and she blamed the gauge. since then my policy has been that all buses will be fueled daily. whatever that gauge says is irrelevant if you know you have a full tank.

I take it you have a in-house fueling station? I can barely get my drivers to keep it above 1/2 tank.
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2016 :  09:39:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yep. its pretty convenient.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2016 :  10:28:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Checked it out with DLB and gauge seems very slow to respond. Checked another bus as well, and it is also slow, but not nearly as slow. Other tech says if he taps on the front of the instrument cluster that the gauge will slowly go up.
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2016 :  04:13:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aaronwilmoth80911

Checked it out with DLB and gauge seems very slow to respond. Checked another bus as well, and it is also slow, but not nearly as slow. Other tech says if he taps on the front of the instrument cluster that the gauge will slowly go up.

Swap out clusters with a known good one and see what it reads. Weird I've never had one do that.
Go to Top of Page

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2016 :  07:54:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The fuel gauges will be slow to react- this is normal. It helps prevent the gauge from jumping all over the place as the fuel sloshes in the tank during driving.
Slow isn't necessarily bad- too slow could be though.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000