Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 2007 Bluebird Vision King Pins
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

namao

Canada
89 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2016 :  1:21:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit namao's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have never had a customer come in for king pin issues with a vision so new to us. My under standing is its a complete axle assemble and its not serviceable? We have been trying to get a hold of our dealer in southern Alberta but not returning calls. My questions is how is the axle purchased , does it come with spindles on axle or do you transfer spindles to new axle? Is the only source blue bird or can you get form Hendrickson supplier? What kind of money to get a complete axle from blue bird? Thanks Roger.

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2016 :  1:54:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was told once that the axle isn't serviceable. One of my 07 AAFEs needed king pins last year, spring shop got the pins and bushings. I'd call Hendrickson and see where to get them.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2016 :  05:31:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nothing is impossible for a good machine shop. I haven't had any king pin issues on a vision yet. The oldest one I have is the second year of production and has 200k on it. Keep us posted on what you find out.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2016 :  05:39:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's what the service manual for my Vision built 2/04 says. "Steertek is a unique axle. the king pin is cryogenically installed in the axle. The king pin is a non-replaceable component of the axle assembly. Do not try to remove the king pin. If the king pin shows signs of movement, contact Hendrickson technical service." However, this manual dose explain how to replace the bushings.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2016 :  06:02:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well now you have me thinking...maybe it was just the bushings. Last year was a blur with being -4 drivers.
Go to Top of Page

namao

Canada
89 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2016 :  09:34:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit namao's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So here is where we are at first off here is the manual http://www.hendrickson-intl.com/CMSPages/GetFile.aspx?guid=2170ac10-5f53-4e62-baaf-7d2c53bfa446 . The parts manual and service manual are on the hendrickson site SP 172 and 17730-248. I have talked to Hendrickson, blue bird dealer in another province and local spring shop. Page 93-103 explains the repair. Basicly need to remove the spindles and inspect the pins [p.99] if they are in spec and the pins are not loose in the axle itself you just need a bushing kit. Other wise will need a new axle with new pins, plus will still need bushing kits for the spindles. The one blue bird shop I talked to said they have always just done bushings. The Hendrickson tech line said to do bushings they have a specific reamer and pilot they recommend from http://www.mcmaster.com/# part numbers are 3141a28 and 3004a32. Not cheap. The issue for us is we usually send out the spindles with the new kingpin kits and they come back ready to install. On this unit the pin is in the axle so the reaming as to be done at the bus. The spring shop has done this style on Volvos, he said but not any buses. He offered to install bushings and lone us the reamer to fit them to the pins weather there the original axle or new axle. He wasn't keen on plugging his shop up with the bus, parts seem to be a issue with our dealer. So I will repost if we get job and once done. thanks for the help.
Go to Top of Page

r300

3 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2016 :  04:37:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit r300's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just replaced one on a all American. Came with tie rods, spindles, all assembled. reused spider, scams,
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2016 :  05:03:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a BlueBird part number for the King Pin kit for my 06 vision. 00063313. Give my your vin or body number and I can look up and see if yours if different.

Here's what's in the kit:
KIT, GREASE CAP ASSY
25 KIT, RETAINING RING
26 KIT, DX BUSHING
27 LH,COMPOSITE THRUST BEARING
28 KIT, THRUST BEARING
29 KIT, KING PIN SHIM
30 KIT, KING PIN SEAL
31 KIT, 5/8 SOCKET HEAD CAP SCREW

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

namao

Canada
89 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2016 :  06:50:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit namao's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello Ron yes that the same number for bushing kits [got in touch with bb late yesterday], here is the axle with pins number 00079132 and a complete axle is 00096738. We got the loose side apart and the pin is bad, its pitted and below spec. So we are in a holding pattern to either go complete axle or just a axle with bushing kits. Thanks for helping out, Roger.
quote:
Originally posted by RonF

Here is a BlueBird part number for the King Pin kit for my 06 vision. 00063313. Give my your vin or body number and I can look up and see if yours if different.

Here's what's in the kit:
KIT, GREASE CAP ASSY
25 KIT, RETAINING RING
26 KIT, DX BUSHING
27 LH,COMPOSITE THRUST BEARING
28 KIT, THRUST BEARING
29 KIT, KING PIN SHIM
30 KIT, KING PIN SEAL
31 KIT, 5/8 SOCKET HEAD CAP SCREW

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000