Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Crazy Stop Arm
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

crmech7

51 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2016 :  07:25:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit crmech7's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have a 97 International with a Blue Bird body and when the door is opened, the stop arm starts to come out a little bit then slams closed, and keeps doing so until the door is closed. I tried a new motor, plastic clutch, and switch. I figure it's grounding out somewhere keeping it from staying out but no such luck finding a bad wire yet. Any tips are appreciated!

bfaulkner

168 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2016 :  07:42:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit bfaulkner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Does this bus use a Weldon Block?
Go to Top of Page

crmech7

51 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2016 :  08:21:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit crmech7's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I hate to display my ignorance on here, but I'm not sure what a Weldon block is. I trained with the mechanic here for a couple years before he retired and now I'm on my own, just doing what I can and trying to gain experience.
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2016 :  08:21:37 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Is it an SMC stop arm? being a 97 I would assume it has the Weldon 7000 flasher unit in it(I believe is what Bfaulkner is refering to).. so stop arm receives power from that flasher, when reds are activated.. it should be under left dash/switch panel beside driver, non of my Bluebirds that old had a side door on them so had to remove dash panels to access flasher and test.. most electric arm problems I had here were due to bad micro switches or motors ..the way you explain yours sounds like a micro switch inside arm malfunctioning to me.. sounds like arm is getting power...but could be ground issue too..
If it is an SMC electric stop arm, the ones I had were always problematic with micro switches and or parts/cam that rotated to activate micro switches... They offer a solid state unit that replaces all the plastic switches and other junk inside of the stop arm.. I prefer the air units and don't have any electric arms anymore but had switched all of mine I did have over to the solid state units long before they were retired from fleet... had much less problems with stop arms after that! Doesn't seem like solid state unit was that expensive per-say compared to all the labor we put into keeping them working before switching over...Good luck

Edited by - slippert on 09/22/2016 08:27:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2016 :  08:54:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^^^ ditto

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2016 :  09:16:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yep, what slippert said. I would ad that you might suspect the "block" (never heard the Weldon 7000 called that either). Can you try one from stock parts or from another bus?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2016 :  09:38:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We had one doing something very similar and it was the Weldon unit that was the problem. However, ours are air operated not electric, so a bit of a difference there.
Go to Top of Page

crmech7

51 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2016 :  12:03:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit crmech7's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, its old and does not have the side door on the outside. I already removed the dash panels looking for bad wires, so I will definitely check that unit next. Thanks for the comments guys!
Go to Top of Page

crmech7

51 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2016 :  06:59:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit crmech7's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So it did turn out to be the inside unit, only I didn't have another 7000 series but the SBF90 model (the skinny black one.) The stop arm and ambers are working fine but the right side reds are not coming on. Could that be anything besides a short in a wire? Wires seem fine but if that's pretty much the only case it could be then I'll do some more digging.
Go to Top of Page

eshover

146 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2016 :  07:19:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit eshover's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Weldon unit has a tab for right side reds. I would say you have a problem with the new unit being not compatible or not good. Change the wire to put power to the right reds to see if that eliminates wire issue.
ED
Go to Top of Page

crmech7

51 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2016 :  07:32:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit crmech7's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've changed the wires around and ended up with more issues. I did question if it was compatible or not and just assumed it was since everything worked, minus that one problem. I'll try one from another bus to find out.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2016 :  1:49:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The InPower flasher referenced is a direct replacement for the Weldon 7000. Do you mean the arm deploys and BOTH lights work or is one light also out on the arm?

Sounds like you got a defective one (flasher) or there's a dead short in the red circuit for that side. I'll put my money on a short.

Do you have a light monitor? Those newer ones have on board fuses to check.
Go to Top of Page

crmech7

51 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2016 :  1:56:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit crmech7's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No light monitor. Yes, there is also one light out on the arm. No red lights on the right side of the bus or the bottom light on the arm.
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2016 :  3:24:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As dumb as this may sound, did you happen to replace the lower stop arm bulb? I had one that I put the wrong bulb in and one side of the upper red lights would not work.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2016 :  4:29:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Certainly does sound like a dead short opening the circuit protection in the flasher. Good tip on the sign bulb, I got burned by that once too.
Go to Top of Page

crmech7

51 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2016 :  07:37:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit crmech7's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I changed the bulb and still nothing. I also put a different flasher in to see if the other was defected and that didn't change anything either. Seems like the things you expect to be simple always become the biggest projects.
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2016 :  07:41:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But is it the correct bulb, an 1156DC (double contact) or did you put an 1156 bulb. Common mistake, usually only once per person though :)
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2016 :  10:13:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@Torque: Exactly!!! It's not a mistake that you forget!
Go to Top of Page

crmech7

51 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2016 :  11:39:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit crmech7's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, yes it is the correct bulb. I was hoping it would have been that easy.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2016 :  12:43:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd pull each fixture from the affected side and check wiring at that point. Could be as simple as the hot wire fell or broke off of the bulb and is dead shorted. These new seal beam bulbs we get now have such sloppy soldering for the terminals that sometimes the things are laying loose in the box when you open it.
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2016 :  1:33:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

I'd pull each fixture from the affected side and check wiring at that point. Could be as simple as the hot wire fell or broke off of the bulb and is dead shorted. These new seal beam bulbs we get now have such sloppy soldering for the terminals that sometimes the things are laying loose in the box when you open it.

or have solder boogers so huge they touch the housings they go into. had that one happen on a fog light i replaced.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

g0ttadrift
Advanced Member

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2016 :  8:24:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought it was just our shop buying cheap bulbs! Glad I'm not the only one to get crappy parts! :P
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2016 :  05:34:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of my favorite things to do is look at both the old and new bulbs and see if they are stamped CHINA or MEXICO. I haven't seen a USA for years. I'm easily amused.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2016 :  05:34:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

One of my favorite things to do is look at both the old and new bulbs and see if they are stamped CHINA or MEXICO. I haven't seen a USA for years. I'm easily amused.

Funny thing is, we would all love to see USA again! Problem being, we don't want to pay the price. If you were to talk to me personally, you would know I'd be talking about voting for a certain presidential candidate right now so we can get more USA parts like that. lol But I will keep the politics out of it like the people who own this forum want.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2016 :  07:29:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Liar A or Liar B? That's as political as I'll get here too.
Go to Top of Page

g0ttadrift
Advanced Member

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2016 :  2:10:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like liar A, he's not a B lol
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2016 :  08:28:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can still get bulbs made in USA. I try for made in Canada 1st, then USA. Can we say names here?
Starts with S ends with a, I have been getting made in USA at a cost the same or slightly more than china.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2016 :  09:58:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know why you couldn't say a name.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2016 :  10:33:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
S...A I'm lost...who's are they?
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2016 :  12:04:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sylvania
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2016 :  02:33:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad this wasn't wheel of fortune with a $30,000 prize because I'd have just lost out.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2016 :  05:21:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Glad this wasn't wheel of fortune with a $30,000 prize because I'd have just lost out.

We need to contact SBF and see if they can update this forum. lol, I would love to give you a thumbs up on this!!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2016 :  06:41:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL, sorry, I thought it would be an easy one :)
Go to Top of Page

crmech7

51 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2016 :  06:51:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit crmech7's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So I know it's been a long time since posting this, but things piled up and I hadn't had the time to work on this until this morning. First thing I did was touch a jumper wire to the right red wire on the module, and what do you know, it worked... That simple the whole time. But oh well, glad to get it all put back together and out of my hair!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000