Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 2016 IC CE
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

busrench

31 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2016 :  07:34:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit busrench's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Y'all, our school bought 3 of these buses. Yesterday a driver had a disturbing instance where he assumed the master overhead light switch was on, activated the overheads, let 2 students off for a crossover and watched (in horror) as one kid grabbed the other to avoid him getting hit by a car. Turns out the master flasher switch was mistakenly turned off and the overheads were not on. The master flasher switch was placed left of the activator switch, making it easy to accidentally turn it off. I moved the switch up out of the way of the other switches, but it seems to me a momentary off switch would be a better set-up. Has anyone else had this issue?

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2016 :  08:09:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Blue Bird has used that setup for years also. I would favor the system Thomas uses...single switch Off-On-Momentary On.

We've talked about changing out masters to Momentary Off like you talked about. That wouldn't work for state using non-sequential lights though.

All this said...

This is a case of complacency by assuming the lights are working and the driver needs remedial training. Indicator lights are there for a reason, mirrors show the stop sign deployed (or not in this instance). I have written up drivers over this before.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2016 :  08:23:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

Blue Bird has used that setup for years also. I would favor the system Thomas uses...single switch Off-On-Momentary On.

We've talked about changing out masters to Momentary Off like you talked about. That wouldn't work for state using non-sequential lights though.

All this said...

This is a case of complacency by assuming the lights are working and the driver needs remedial training. Indicator lights are there for a reason, mirrors show the stop sign deployed (or not in this instance). I have written up drivers over this before.

I totally agree the driver needs to be more on the ball. That's the reason we have training! I would be livid with this driver (I don't get that upset normally). What else is this driver "overlooking"?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2016 :  11:22:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trouble is, moving the switch, you get a driver that is familiar with this system, glances down to where the master is, (or normally is if it where to have one) doesn't see it, so they don't think it has the master.........
Put it back, train driver.
We have both set ups in our fleet. I have not heard it being an issue, I believe the drivers check to see the lights are operating before the let the kids go. If not, they should be.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2016 :  11:35:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Should be making sure the ambers are flashing before they even get to the stop.
We have one bus you have to be careful of as the ambers won't activate above 45 mph.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2016 :  12:39:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you Diamond Logic Builder? Easy to change that if you do! I have routes on US highways and like to get those ambers going before I take my foot off the accelerator. Still nearly get rear-ended!
Go to Top of Page

busrench

31 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2016 :  1:33:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit busrench's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No Diamond logic builder. I went into the buses with each driver and showed them where the switch is. They all agreed that it was in a better spot... Much less likely to accidentally turn it off.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2016 :  04:39:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My reference to DLB was for Fastback's issue with lights that won't active above 45.

Are you changing all 3 of your IC's switch locations or just this one bus?
Go to Top of Page

busrench

31 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2016 :  05:59:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit busrench's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All three. I did notice, on all 3 buses, the light monitor only shows the overhead lights working. The monitors never show any of the other lights working even though they work fine externally. These buses all have LED's except for the overheads.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2016 :  07:15:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ever done a light monitor calibration? Nothing to it really. If you have access, there is an IKnow aticle on the matter.

Soundoff now recommends that not only has the bus been running for several minutes, but that the lights have been activated too so they "warm up".

Then you push the program button...its on the back of the monitor. The monitor flashes each light on it in a sequence. You only need to activate the light that it's wanting to see at that time. I can't remember if the light on the monitor goes solid or shuts off when it's calibrated but you'll know when it happens. Once all of the lights are set, you just shut down the bus and restart. In theory everything will then work.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000