New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2016 :  12:43:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/news/715559/details-on-the-new-diesel-engine-oil-standards?utm_campaign=Newsline-Tuesday-New-20160920&utm_source=Email&utm_medium=Enewsletter

What do you think about this? Confusing! Might be interesting to see what kind of mileage increase we'll see in the school bus market.

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2016 :  2:40:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think the whole thing couldve been summed up this way...

hey! were making new oil to work with new engines. you could use it with anything built since 2010 kinda sorta maybe, but dont bother if its a gooey old beast. ...end data transmission...

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2016 :  05:03:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, kind of strange but I suppose they are just trying to satisfy the EPA. Time will tell but I don't like when they mess with the oils, too many things can go wrong and leave many with blown engines because of an oil problem. I hope it works out!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

g0ttadrift
Advanced Member

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2016 :  3:48:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bwest...agreed! We've done an oil analysis on a couple of our 2000 BB FE's with the 5.9L and even though we are changing the oil at 7500 miles, the analysis showed that we didn't have to change the oil until 10-12k miles. So I'm not sure how much better this new oil can possibly get. I can just see it causing problems and upping the maintenance costs because I'm sure the new oil will cost more than the stuff we use now.

Edited by - g0ttadrift on 09/22/2016 3:49:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2016 :  04:11:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by krmvcs

i think the whole thing couldve been summed up this way...

hey! were making new oil to work with new engines. you could use it with anything built since 2010 kinda sorta maybe, but dont bother if its a gooey old beast. ...end data transmission...

You forgot the part where they say it costs more but it's better so it's ok!
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2016 :  05:24:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by g0ttadrift

bwest...agreed! We've done an oil analysis on a couple of our 2000 BB FE's with the 5.9L and even though we are changing the oil at 7500 miles, the analysis showed that we didn't have to change the oil until 10-12k miles. So I'm not sure how much better this new oil can possibly get. I can just see it causing problems and upping the maintenance costs because I'm sure the new oil will cost more than the stuff we use now.

Yeah, I know. I do caution myself though, when I see the down side of these things. lol, I have to remind myself that, in general (over time), things do get better. If you have followed my posts you will know I am sceptical of any government intrusion though. That can mess things up severely. Who would have thought that Cat would be out of the on road engine business. But they are, thanks to the EPA

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2016 :  07:34:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who would have thought that Cat would be out of the on road engine business. But they are, thanks to the EPA
[/quote]

politicians voted into office by us passed clean air laws and Cummins won that race. CAT cornered the off road market instead. to say that this is all "because of the EPA" seems to imply intent. that intent was lower engine emissions and we are all the better for it. companies innovated and the best product made more money for that company. also, isnt lower emissions one of the benefits of propane engines?

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2016 :  08:18:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep! However, I live in an area where I am not concerned about emissions. I think, in some areas, the EPA has overstepped.
Without getting too political here, the "intent" of the EPA was to reduce emissions without regard for whether or not it toasted every company in the nation.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2016 :  08:55:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

Yep! However, I live in an area where I am not concerned about emissions. I think, in some areas, the EPA has overstepped.
Without getting too political here, the "intent" of the EPA was to reduce emissions without regard for whether or not it toasted every company in the nation.

fair enough.
but i think we can agree that there is something of a sliding scale based on public and environmental impact that drives the decision to ban rather than phase out. lead was outright banned vs companies given years to figure out how to comply with EPA air regs for example.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2016 :  10:57:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, much like asbestos, lead was/ is a real bad player in improper locations. I don't think it's a problem, to come down with certainty, when something is beyond a doubt a hazard. However, when you have a problem that is shaded with doubt, I have a problem with the regulation we get. I wish we could take politics out of all this and just deal with facts. That's hard to do with the human mind though. If a person thinks their job will continue if they find there's an issue with this suspected substance then, guess what, we have and issue with this substance.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.73 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000