Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2016 :  06:44:28 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That probably explains the added material along the side on current (IC/IMMI/Safegaurd) seat backs.... besides adding strength it would make thickness of material more comparable without making pan too rigid
quote:
Originally posted by Fastback

The opinion I heard multiple times was there was too much "heat" used welding thin metal to thick metal resulting in the thin metal becoming brittle.

Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2016 :  10:41:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The opinion I heard multiple times was there was too much "heat" used welding thin metal to thick metal resulting in the thin metal becoming brittle.

Aree! I'm no metallurgist but I know from experience that welds done incorrectly will break right beside the weld. I had a 220 JD disk years ago that I couldn't keep together. A friend of mine, who welds steam pipe for a living, welded it and it stayed together the rest of the season and all the next and then I sold it. If you get time, and know a little about farming, you should look up a pic of the 220. I'm sure you'll have a good laugh at the design. lol

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2016 :  3:25:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
New and improved frame. We'll see...what do you think???

Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2016 :  05:03:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also noteworthy (or not) the slight differences in the sheet metal stamping.
When I have one of these seat backs fail now I look to see if its ever been replaced with this new design or one of the ones I had rewelded, so far I have not seen any of this new design fail or any of the rewelded ones.

That is a pretty good looking old Ward bus body in the background!

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2016 :  05:12:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

When I have one of these seat backs fail now I look to see if its ever been replaced with this new design or one of the ones I had rewelded, so far I have not seen any of this new design fail or any of the rewelded ones.

The stamping of the sheet metal does feels more rigid, good point. Why yes that is a Ward you see back there. Its a 87' model with a Detroit 8.2L, we've recently had it refurbished.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2016 :  05:21:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoeHEB1

quote:

The stamping of the sheet metal does feels more rigid, good point. Why yes that is a Ward you see back there. Its a 87' model with a Detroit 8.2L, we've recently had it refurbished.

The refurbish topic would be a good one on another thread!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

exmod110

150 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2016 :  05:42:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit exmod110's Homepage  Reply with Quote
it is nice to see that they have holes punched ready to add the tec screws when they do break!! LOL
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2016 :  06:05:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL good eye on the pre punched holes!!!!!!

The AG ED/Shop kids are learning to weld as I type this, the weld on the new seat pictured above looks like it might have been done here.
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2016 :  08:43:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

LOL good eye on the pre punched holes!!!!!!

The AG ED/Shop kids are learning to weld as I type this, the weld on the new seat pictured above looks like it might have been done here.

Weld shop kids would've done better than that LOL...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000