Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 8.2L Won't Start
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lorna

4 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2016 :  10:15:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lorna's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a 1986 Blue Bird All American FE that my late husband & I converted into an RV. He was supposed to have gone thru the engine (8.2L Turbo) to make sure it was all okay but died before he did that. In the past few months, my daughter & I replaced the water pump, several hoses and the belts before traveling 170 miles to another town where we broke down. Once we got to our current location, we were told we needed to replace the transmission filter (done)and while we were under there decided to drain the oil and replace the oil filters. While we were draining the oil out, the bus menchanic that was supposed to help us drifted by and informed us we had blown fuel injectors because the oil had diesel in it. Told us it would be $1700 per injector to replace the injectors. We simply did not and still do not have that kind of money. He was told this up front and all we need him to do was to tell us what was wrong so we could do the work ourselves (not heard from him since). So we found the injectors online. Had to have the bus towed out of the state park into a nearby campground as we over stayed. We replaced the injectors (mechanical C6) and now we can't get the engine to start. We have bled the air out of the fuel lines as best we can. Everything seems to be tight. It will turn over but not catch. I keep cranking it until the battery dies, then charge the battery back up, then crank it some more. I use a single battery (group 31 commercial - new in June) which normally cranks it up on the first try. Right now I can do about 3 or 4 5 second cranks before it dies. What am I doing wrong and any tips would be appreciated. I've been trying to get help online in other places but this engine seems to be different from other diesel engines.

BTW, we have a parts manual and a service manual for the engine.

kd4jfd
Top Member

USA
1168 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2016 :  1:59:42 PM  Show Profile  Click to see kd4jfd's MSN Messenger address  Send kd4jfd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Lorna,

What state are you in? Having a location may give someone a better idea of who can help.

539 - Repair work in progress!
Go to Top of Page

Lorna

4 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2016 :  2:52:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lorna's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm in Roswell, NM.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2016 :  05:26:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are for sure different! Complicated would be the word I'd use. There was a guy on here who would be able to help but he has left the bus company he was at and went on to greener pastures. He goes by WolfOr on here but I don't think he's posted in over a year. He's in southern Indiana so I don't think he can help you physically. Are there any Detroit dealers out there that might be able to help? Another place I'd check is a bus dealer in your area. Look up the Blue Bird dealer for your area. In short, I don't think there is anyone on this forum with they knowledge you need (could be mistaken though, so check back) This industry is different than the auto industry. These bus dealers will help you with this stuff where a car dealer won't. Good luck and God bless!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2016 :  06:33:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have 4 of these beasts still in use (87'). I've never replaced injectors in any of them, have you tried starting it with either? Are you for sure the fuel system is primed (fuel filters full including the one along the frame). You may have lost fuel prime since you were in the fuel system.

Edit: Forgot to mention to check the shut down solenoid for power. It's located on the mechanical governor.

Edited by - JoeHEB1 on 08/15/2016 06:49:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

Lorna

4 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2016 :  10:01:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lorna's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We can get it to run for short periods with ether. Using ether scares me that I will ruin the engine. I have a fuel filter on the frame? I know there was one under the engine next to the two oil filters because we changed it out (filled with diesel and then reinstalled) I'm pretty sure we have air in the fuel system. We bled it out at the fuel junction block. A guy in the park is helping us at times. He shifted from ether to diedel in the air breather.

The Blue Bird dealer is up in Albuquerque (200+ miles away).

Where is the mechanical governor? Bear in mind we know nothing. Learning as we go, the hard way. We have a book that we follow (service manual). I expected my husband to not die so soon. I thought there was time for him to teach me what I needed to learn. My skills are carpentry, not mechanics.

Yes, I know, we are idiots that should not be working on the bus (I have been told this repeatedly, along with the "replace the motor" - like we got the money for that). But for now, I appreciate any and all you can help me with. My daughter & I are not afraid of getting greasy. We just need to learn what to do.

But for now, I'm off to put in another job application (also got an interview tomorrow whoo-hoo). We can't leave NM until we get the motor running and do something about our severely depleted funds. We got our site paid for the month and food in the freezer.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2016 :  11:16:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't say, by any means, that you are "idiots" for working on anything yourself. You'll get it, hang in there. Don't worry about the dealer being 200 miles away. Mine is over 100 miles from me. They can help. Just call and ask for service and see if they have anyone there that knows the 8.2. If they don't, see if they know anyone who does. If they still say no, ask them if they have someone who is retired that might be interested in talking to you. You'd be surprised. Also, another direction to go here. Try getting with a local church and seeing if there is anyone they have in their congregation who would be willing to help.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2016 :  11:22:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lorna, found this on the web: (575) 623-5438
That's the number to a church there in Roswell. Don't know a thing about them beyond their web page. However, most Christians will help no matter what.
Keep us posted.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2016 :  12:55:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The governor is towards the front of the engine in the valley. Its between the heads towards the front of the engine. Hope this helps. The cut off solenoid is mounted to the governor. You can't miss it. Its the only thing with a wire on the governor.[URL=http://s253.photobucket.com/user/tootsie1980/media/8.2%20Detroit.png.html][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

Lorna

4 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2016 :  6:16:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lorna's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much for the picture (and such a clean engine!). We will get in touch with the church. I will try to call the BB Dealership up in Moriarty. I had the number before and I can find it again. Thanks for being so nice.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2016 :  04:33:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tillery Chevrolet, Moriarty 505-832-4431

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2016 :  3:30:25 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
These engines require special tooling to set up the governor and fuel rails. Please do not remove the governor top cover unless you are properly trained and have the proper tools for the job.
I also do not recommend using starting fluid unless you are just giving it a small measured shot and only once. Starting fluid WILL destroy an engine faster than you can say OMG.

Brad A. Barker
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000