New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2016 :  09:03:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/news/714517/ic-bus-to-offer-cummins-l9-engine-for-re-series-school-bus

IC is going to put the L9 in the pusher here soon, and in 2018 the 6.7.

Anybody have any experience with the L9? Just curious what it's temperment is.

schoolbus50

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2016 :  4:14:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolbus50's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't think the engine is avaiable yet. I work for Metro Transit in Minneapolis/St. Paul and the Cummings Mobile Service is out there everyday working on engines. Some warranty some not.
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2016 :  11:54:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The ISL may not be available for IC, but we've had them installed in our BB trip buses for the last couple of years. The only problem has been that school buses don't load them enough most of the time, which can carbon up the EGR passages. For route buses the ISB has been fine, other than issues with the DEF system and some of that same EGR carbon problem.

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2016 :  12:49:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ive got 3 ISL's in newer Thomas HDX's. zero engine or emission issues thus far.
about 50K miles on each.

-Ken-

Edited by - krmvcs on 07/25/2016 12:52:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

g0ttadrift
Advanced Member

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2016 :  3:14:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good read, thanks for the post!
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2016 :  3:27:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is IC behind the curve on this? Thomas and BlueBird has it already? Is Thomas coming out with a gasoline?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2016 :  3:58:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IC announced the gas bus yesterday I believe, nothing from Thomas (yet) that's I've heard.

Is this 9 liter Cummins the evolution of the old 6C? That was a tough engine.
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2016 :  07:11:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
as far as i understand the ISC is being discontinued in favor of the ISL. seems like Cummins is consolidating their power plants (ISB, ISL, ISX) as i havent seen or heard of a new ISC or ISM. and rumor has it that Thomas Built is more than a little upset about Cummins selling engines to IC. i was told that Thomas Built was assured this wasnt going to happen for another year or two.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

sbfreader

153 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2016 :  1:46:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The ISC was based on the 8.3L engineered in the mid-80's in a joint development with Case.

The ISL and ISM are both based on the L10 engine. The M series was discontinued in '11 in favor of the ISX12 (11.9L).

So now you have ISV, ISB, ISL, ISX12, ISX15

Prior to 2010 Cummins provided a very significant number of engines to International in the Class 8 market. International really was not a heavy-duty engine builder until they went the EGR-only route and brought the MAN engineered product from Europe to North America as the Maxxforce 11 & 13. So it's no great shock that they have begun selling to International in both the heavy and now Medium markets. In fact, it represents a real conquest for them since Navistar was real competition on the Medium side of the business. They have now virtually eliminated an engine competitor in N. America since it appears Navistar will only be building the one family of engines for the forseeable future.

Thomas is bringing new Daimler powerplants to market in the next couple of years so they don't really have that "loyalty" card to play with regards to Cummins. This is just business, it's not personal.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2016 :  1:48:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great info...thanks everyone! Competition is a good thing for all of us, keeps the big 3 of the bus world from screwing us too badly.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000