New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1324 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2016 :  11:39:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have this ic bus thats giving me an intermitten abs light and code is for left rear toner ring damaged i took rotor off the ring looks ok there is a litle rust biuld up under the ring so i put back together made sure bearsing where set right adjusted abs sensor and still the abs light comes on intermittently daying left rear toner ring damage my question is how hard is it to replace the ring i never done one

Troy87

United States
52 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2016 :  12:58:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chances are, the surface that the toner ring sits on is warped from the rust. You are better off changing the entire rotor, which comes with a new stainless ring already installed on it.

Edited by - Troy87 on 07/18/2016 12:58:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1324 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2016 :  4:51:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the tone ring is part of the hub on this bus and the rootor bolts to the hub
Go to Top of Page

wrenchsnapper

27 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2016 :  07:48:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit wrenchsnapper's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So this is the newer 2010 and up tone rings. They are extremely delicate and rust from underneath will warp them causing the code. I believe they need less than .010" or less runout. So even bumping them will ruin them as they cannot be straightened. You can replace the inexpensive tone rings but the rust where they mount may cause a problem. Be sure to use the Conmet ring installer #107119 or a suitable seal installer when installing a new ring. Ive been using green loctite on the hub surface to lock the rings on and prevent further rust.
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1324 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2016 :  08:51:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
where did u get the install tool from?

Edited by - dsalinas1939 on 07/19/2016 09:39:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

raytobe
Advanced Member

USA
293 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2016 :  4:53:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit raytobe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wrenchsnapper

So this is the newer 2010 and up tone rings. They are extremely delicate and rust from underneath will warp them causing the code. I believe they need less than .010" or less runout. So even bumping them will ruin them as they cannot be straightened.

I haven't found that to be the case YET. I bent a rear one on a 2014 while installing a new hub a few weeks ago. I just knew it was toast because I really couldn't get it back to true but I let it go with hopes it wouldn't come back-- and it hasn't. See her about once a week before field trips.
Go to Top of Page

wrenchsnapper

27 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2016 :  5:31:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit wrenchsnapper's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We got the installer tool through an IH dealer. It took several months so I was using a seal driver in the meantime. Raytobe One of my coworkers did the same thing trying to install the rings with just a mallet and ended up pulling all the wheels back off the next day and replacing them all again to get rid of the codes.
I dont know about you but Ive just had my first performance friction rotor snap a few of the tone ring screws from rust and set a code for missing teeth on the tone ring .At least we did get some decent service life out of the rotor.
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1324 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2016 :  04:12:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i ended up calling the manufactor of that tool and they tool me where to get it so i called them and they said it will taketwo weeks which i dont understand cause the manufactor of the tool says there in stock but they cant sell it to me so i guess i will wait i dont wanna just bang it in and bend it and have to do it again as far as broken tone rings havent had that yet we use performance friction rotors and havent had any tone ring problems i wish the would have stayed with the ring on the rotor instead of puttin it on the hub
Go to Top of Page

wrenchsnapper

27 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2016 :  3:02:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit wrenchsnapper's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A seal driver does the job just fine for anyone experienced . The tone rings should be incorporated into the differential where they will never see salt or damage.
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1324 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2016 :  04:35:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah thats all the tool is just a big seal driver problem is i dont have one that big and our snap on and matco guys dont have them that big either so i am stuck waiting fro the tool from conmet
Go to Top of Page

wrenchsnapper

27 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2016 :  11:28:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit wrenchsnapper's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As an interim we also used a bar bell weight from our drag bag the drivers used for their physical strength testing. It fit right on the seal driver handle. That actually worked better because it was so heavy . LOL
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1324 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2016 :  12:12:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that sounds like a good idea
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1324 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2016 :  10:59:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i finally got the new tone ring on i cleaned the hole area up before i put the new one on i put just the hub on so i could see the air gap as i spun wheel there is an area about one inch long where there air gap is about .003 wider then the rest will that cause a light or is there enough tolerance that i will be ok the ring is all the way down ilike i said i cleaned the hub before i put the new on on i really dont wanna put it all back together and take for ride only to have to take it apart again
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000