Brooms and trash cans
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2016 :  04:50:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For those who have brooms and trash cans on the buses, how are you securing them inside the bus so they don't move around while driving or in the event of an accident?

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2016 :  06:16:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to make a simple angle out of a piece of flat metal with holes already in it and screw it to the doghouse. Then I make a slit in the trash can and put the angle through and put a "linch pin" through the hole to hold the can. Lately I have been using a napa trash can that has a bracket with it. Unity school bus parts has one too their number is BK500. On the broom, I just put them between the seat and the wall below the windows as you're coming onto the bus.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2016 :  06:23:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For trash cans, we have made brackets and screwed them to the floor and use bungie cords to secure the can to the brackets. For the brooms, we use to use spring loaded metal clips (GI clips?) but now we use a rubber clip and screw 2 of them above the back door for the broom. Part number BR-30 from schoolbusparts, about $10 a piece, but we also use them for holding spray bottles for our class cleaner or disinfectant.
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2016 :  09:35:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We use two Hindley #115 "Stor-All Broom Hooks" to secure the broom to the back bulkhead, or beside the wheelchair lift on buses with rear A/C. For trash cans, we use whatever 13 qt desk can that's cheap on one of our purchasing agreements (OfficeMax currently). We just drill a hole into the floor and use a #10 X 1/12 sheet metal screw with a fender washer to secure the trash can to the floor beside the driver. That way, if it strips out, we can put in a #12 - and if THAT strips out, a #14...

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2016 :  5:41:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NAPA# 827-2528 may be the same as the one bwest mentioned. It has the metal bracket. These were originally made for holding windshield soap and the squeegee at the service-station island. Works great as a garbage can. They hold up well over time. They can be pulled out of the bracket quickly and dumped; they also can be passed to a sick student pretty fast too!

For securing brooms on the bottom we use a rubber oar-lock(p/n SOF-LOC), and on the top a fish pole holder(p/n SDL 491347-1), from a local company called Fisheries Supply (they have a web site) to hold the brooms that we get from Grainger.

Works for us, your mileage may vary...
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  05:49:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great!!! This gives me a good place to start.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  05:57:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mechan1c, the rubber oar-lock looks exactly like the BR-30 that I posted, except more expensive. You did say though that it is a local company to you, so I can definitely understand trying to keep it in the community.
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  08:40:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Garbage cans, screw through bottom with fender washer (near doghouse), offset so can can be rotated out of the way. Broom between wall and seats as you walk on the bus
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  10:06:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Torque,
We are trying to get away from the broom between the wall and the seats approach due to a couple of factors. One, you have the nasty broom head right in the face of pre-k children. Two, in a roll over this can become a projectile as well as during impacts to the side, front and rear. Three, some drivers block the emergency exits with the broom. Mostly older TC2000's.
The reason I brought this up is because I just attended a three day School bus inspectors class and loose objects on the bus was one of the main topics and trash cans and brooms are the two most common.
Many different states have inspection books that mention this as well as some DOT criteria. Georgia now has an inspection book.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

seyster7

7 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  10:09:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit seyster7's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Our front trash bin seems to secured to the floor (not sure how), but I also have a rear bin that is just a mop bucket bungie corded to the rear seat. I put the broom either behind my seat or on the window sill on the service door side. The space between my seat and the barrier is tight since I have my seat so far back so I made a supply caddy out of a long shoe box from the USPS. Works like a gem and I don't have anything flying around while driving down Illinois roads.
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  10:32:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with you Ron. Locally they are strict about the trash can being secured, personally, I would like to see no trash can at all, take your garbage with you :) Some driver use to carry a jug of windshield washer, inspectors do not like that unless it is secured, so we just dont allow it. I fully agree with what you said about the brooms, inspectors so far have not said anything, so until they do, or something happens it likely wont change, hard for people to break bad habits. We also have snow scraper/brush I dont really like to see loose, but inspectors so far have not said anything.
I think any type of securement should be a positive latching type. In a roll over, I just dont think the spring type clips would hold the broom any better than wedged between the seat and the wall. Let us know what you come up with in the end.
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  11:13:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We screw down the trash can so kids don't kick them out of the bracket - we used to use the NAPA squeegee bucket exclusively. As long as drivers use a trash bag, all is well. Or you unscrew the thing if it gets nasty.

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
Go to Top of Page

wilbur560

2 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2016 :  07:19:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit wilbur560's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Most of our drivers put their brooms behind the student mirror. It tucks in nicely and holds securely. As far as the trash cans, each driver is different, but I have mine just on the floor near the entrance door. To keep it from moving around during driving, I have a 2.5 pound weight in the bottom. This holds it in place during turns and the like, but is not very heavy in case it needs to be passed a student.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapa
Advanced Member

215 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2016 :  04:50:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit BigPapa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I saw a bus on the road the other day, not one of ours, with the broom wedged in behind the rear emergency door handle. Couldn't believe my eyes.....
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2016 :  10:05:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have been installing the spring clips and mounting the brooms in a standing position behind the last seat on the drivers side. I'm going to try a few of the buckets from napa for the trash can and see how that works.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2016 :  11:21:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forgot to mention, our garbage pails are the larger empty ice cream containers, the ones from an ice cream shop. Work great, use them with small garbage bags. If there are any ice cream shops in the area......
Go to Top of Page

04IC#14

United States
51 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2016 :  08:32:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We run mostly ICs, the garbage can we bungee cord to the metal post under the dash by the engine cowl. The broom gets wedged in between the rear seat and the rear of the bus. Some buses had a holder the broom handle could be secured in.

Brandon

Go to Top of Page

baptistbusman1

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2016 :  2:25:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The last few years along with being a mechanic, I have also driven a regular route. In our C2's I sit my trash bucket right beside me, like right infront of the front heater controls. It sits there quite nicely. The broom leans behind my seat. Never had a problem with them needing secured. In fact, we had a bus during state inspection with the trash can bungeed to the hand rail, and the inspector said we aren't allowed to secure them down up front.

I was formally Baptistbusman. However, I lost my password, and had not updated my email address.

Here is a link to my old posts. http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/forum/search.asp?mode=DoIt&MEMBER_ID=1846
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2016 :  04:45:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, nothing should be secured to the hand rail. I know that is an out of service defect for Georgia. In most cases the brooms and trash cans ride just fine. It's the emergency situations that present a problem.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

baptistbusman1

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2016 :  11:55:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
everybody worries about securing a trash can so it doesn't fly around and hit someone in wreck and forget about the laptops, book bags, trapper keepers, trumpets, trombones, football helmets, lunch boxes and science projects. Ya tie down the one thing that stands between you and a bus full of puke...

I was formally Baptistbusman. However, I lost my password, and had not updated my email address.

Here is a link to my old posts. http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/forum/search.asp?mode=DoIt&MEMBER_ID=1846
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2016 :  07:31:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by baptistbusman1

everybody worries about securing a trash can so it doesn't fly around and hit someone in wreck and forget about the laptops, book bags, trapper keepers, trumpets, trombones, football helmets, lunch boxes and science projects. Ya tie down the one thing that stands between you and a bus full of puke...

I don't care who you are, THAT'S FUNNY!!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2016 :  10:47:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Times like this makes me wish we had a "like" or "best of" button to click!
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2016 :  1:06:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

quote:

Times like this makes me wish we had a "like" or "best of" button to click!

Agreed!!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.26 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000