Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 03 Bluebird fuel gauge troubleshooting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jsome

15 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2016 :  09:37:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit jsome's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a 2003 All American Blue Bird A3RE the fuel gauge is brand new. The first time out the farther they drove the more full the tank was or so the gauge showed. So we filled the tank and the gauge shows 7/8 full. I had read that I should check ohms at plug to gauge and it should be 84 ohms test showed only 74 ohms. The sender disconnect has 88 ohms. Also sender has 16.6 volts key off and 2.7 volts key on. What should I do from here?

Edited by - jsome on 06/26/2016 12:11:38 PM

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2016 :  12:20:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What's the fault?
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2016 :  12:25:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MicroBird, All American, Vision? Knowing that wiil help those with your type bus help you.
Go to Top of Page

jsome

15 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2016 :  12:32:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit jsome's Homepage  Reply with Quote
03 All American
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2016 :  6:33:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How many gallons does the tank hold?

What did the original gauge read when the tank was full? Or, what was the first reason for swapping out the gauge originally?

Have you tried seeing what the gauge(s) do w/key on and the fuel sender wire disconnected? Should peg out a working gauge.

With the replacement gauge in, and you filled up the tank, do you remember what the gauge read before filling, and how much fuel you added to get it to the point it reads 7/8 when full? Those 2 bits of info should give you an idea if the sender is biased.

16.6 volts seems high w/key off anywhere on the bus?? How'd you get that reading?

My last 100 gallon All American took a 00093338 sender. It's a variable resistor that should have a range of readings; I think you are saying your's is sending a lower than expected value?

Always check connections, grounds, and make sure the sender gasket and fasteners are sound.

Let us know what you find.
Go to Top of Page

jsome

15 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2016 :  09:57:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit jsome's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thanks for the reply.
1.tank is 60 gal.
2.the old fuel gauge did a little of everything, sometimes it seemed true other times the driver filled tank up and then on route it would show empty then go back up to what may or may not be true.
3. I have not tried key on sender disconnected but I will.
4.I think it showed full. took bus for a drive yesterday and it never came off full.
5.16.6 volts was at the sender,testing the two leads on sender.
6 the sender seems to check out good on ohms when disconnected.
thanks for any help you can give.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2016 :  10:02:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
16.6 volts! Better double check that reading. I wouldn't think you'd see anything above 12.5 to 13.

I'd look for a loose connection. With the gauge going everywhere, there has to be something not right in the wiring . Just my two cents.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

BigPapa
Advanced Member

215 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2016 :  3:06:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit BigPapa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Our BB A3FE All Americans, Type D Forward Engine, models take a 00076531 Sending Unit.
Go to Top of Page

jsome

15 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2016 :  2:23:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit jsome's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thanks for the help but it seems some of the problem was the loose nut behind the volt meter :)
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2016 :  06:23:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That happens to everyone!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000