Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Screw Ups and Time Wasters
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bfaulkner

168 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2016 :  1:41:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit bfaulkner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
98 International, AT545 Transmission, Broken Flex Plate. Remove trans and install new flex plate. Reinstall the trans. Get all the wiring, cables and driveshaft in place. Only thing left is the aggravating torque converter bolts. Hmm... I can't find the holes... Feel around. Didn't clock the new flexplate to the flywheel holes. Can't install the bolts. Now I have to pull everything back off and correct the first part on. 3 Hours wasted in installing and removing again. This is a job to fix tomorrow.

So anyone else wanna share a screw up or time wasted project?

g0ttadrift
Advanced Member

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2016 :  1:54:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rear main seal on Cummins 5.9L: Had to take the trans out 3 times...first time to replace the seal and I marred the housing around it so it still leaked oil. Second time to replace the rear main seal plate...still leaked oil. Third time I replaced everything behind that bell housing, including the gasket for the rear main seal housing plate and sealing ring. Third times the charm :)......wasted 2 full weeks.
Go to Top of Page

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2016 :  3:10:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did an oil change on an 7.3L IDI, and took it for a test drive. 3/4 mile down the road, the engine started making a horrible racket. Look down, and i have no oil pressure...

I forgot to add oil after the oil change...

Thankfully, The boss was VERY forgiving on that one!

and not really a screw up, but I had to replace 2 flexplates and a transmission in a week (all different trucks.) I made good use of the rental transmission jack that week! lol
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2016 :  04:17:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Replaced injectors on a 444E. Engine was put back together and wouldn't start. After a few choice words, I happened to look at my magnetic tray and seen the oil manifold plugs laying in the tray. We all know it'll never start without those plugs in. Although I had done this job a hundred times it still happened LOL...It happens to the best of us.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapa
Advanced Member

215 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2016 :  04:54:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit BigPapa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Had a tech put a front crank seal in a transit front engine bus with a 6.7 Cummins. Used two pry bars instead of the puller for the damper and ruined the tone ring, new damper. Installed new seal, reassembled the front end, leaking oil worse than it was. Pulled it all back apart, put new seal in again, ran it without assembling the front end and another tech discovered he'd put two holes in the front cover with the pry bars, new front cover.

Unbelievable.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2016 :  05:25:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good thread! I'm not sure I'm ready to share any of mine. I will in time I'm sure. lol

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2016 :  05:28:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oil pan gasket on a C7. Front housing holes for oil pan bolt stripped. Helicoiled the stripped hole, put pan back in. Then found another that was stripped. Ended up braking the tap off in the hole and couldn't get it out no matter what I did. Ended up replacing the front housing. Lots of fun.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapa
Advanced Member

215 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2016 :  06:03:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit BigPapa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The best one I've been involved in was at a shop I used to work at. We were replacing the HPOP on a 6.0 Ford. Tech got it all back together and it just would not start. Ended up pulling it back off and he had failed to remove one of the little plastic plugs in one of the ports.
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2016 :  07:38:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
techs trying to service an allison 3060 using an impact on the filter housings and stripping out the threads. thats a fun one to fix. as for me, ahem, when i was a new tech i was replacing a diff on mid 90's gillig and while lining it up and bolting it in, i broke off one of the parts that align it inside the axle housing. my boss was pretty forgiving.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2016 :  08:25:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by krmvcs

techs trying to service an allison 3060 using an impact on the filter housings and stripping out the threads. thats a fun one to fix. as for me, ahem, when i was a new tech i was replacing a diff on mid 90's gillig and while lining it up and bolting it in, i broke off one of the parts that align it inside the axle housing. my boss was pretty forgiving.

It's nice to have someone that has been there and done that. I would imagine that's the reason he was easy on you. lol

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bfaulkner

168 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2016 :  08:46:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit bfaulkner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Since I have straightened last nights mess up I'll Share my 2 worst at the school.

Fresh out of diesel school. Have an older 24V Cummins blow an injector. Decide to put hotter injectors in it like the pickup guys do. Order a set of injectors that are 100HP hotter. Bus runs and sounds great. Goes on the first run and the trans temps hit 350. Turns out the AT545 couldn't handle that much power. Get a set of stock injectors and change the trans fluid to Synthetic. Still running that way today after 3 years.

First try at EGR bypass on the DT466. Testing theory's at this point so i make gaskets to go between the cooler and valve to block it off. Made them from a cut up cherry coke can. While it did run and did not set a CEL within 2 days it developed a miss and knock. Took it to the local dealer whom we are on good terms with. Turns out the "gaskets" blew out and went into the engine. Chewed up a piston. That bus had to have an overhaul at 130,000 miles. The International dealer Manager still has the Gaskets to blackmail me.

Edited by - bfaulkner on 06/14/2016 08:52:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

buster133
Top Member

USA
512 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2016 :  10:09:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So far I’ve been lucky I guess. My worst (so far) was when I was replacing a driver’s side heater motor on a FS-65 Thomas and putting the side panel back on. I was missing one screw in the side panel so I grabbed a new one only to realize it was a self-tap screw a little bit longer than the original and ended up drilling a hole in the heater core. What a mess!

[URL=http://s7.photobucket.com/user/buster133/media/6f2e0703-1970-4ac9-bb1f-b6b9d7c12297_zps1741e113.jpg.html][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

dferrell

102 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2016 :  1:03:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
3208 CAT...Had the heads off for some reason I can't remember. Reinstalled the heads, injection pump, set valves, installed intake and exhaust manifolds, turbo, etc. Started the engine and got ready to pull it out of the shop and noticed that one of the coolant tubes between the head and the front cover was leaking. Had to completely pull everything back apart and remove the head. Apparently I had rolled one of the O-rings on that stupid tube. That was close to 20 years ago and the feeling I had when I saw it leaking is still a vivid memory.
Go to Top of Page

KnuckleBuster76

45 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2016 :  05:07:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got distracted while replacing a head. During the install I kept getting bothered by various drivers (GET OUT OF MY SHOP!!!!). Missed the crucial step of hooking up the injectors to the harness.

Another screw-up: Couldn't get a bus to start. Cracked the fuel line to see of there was fuel pressure. There was pressure, but I said to the manager "What does this smell like to you?!?!" Yep... someone filled the tank with gasoline, instead of diesel.

"Just... I dunno... Just fix it."
Go to Top of Page

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  11:33:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not my own goof, KnuckleBuster76- but I had a driver fill up a diesel with gasoline twice within a month. We moved to onsite fueling after him.
same driver also put motor oil in the master cylinder.
twice... He was a nice guy, but I'm sure glad he is someone else's problem now.
Go to Top of Page

td83

83 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2017 :  02:45:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit td83's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bfaulkner I did the same thing and didn't notice on the bus I was working on that the flexplate needed to be clocked to make it worse the guy that works behind me on another shift had a hissy about it needless to say I corrected it the next day , funny thing is right when the guy who works behind me didn't know why he couldn't get the bolts in the foreman knew right away as he explained he did the same thing one time lesson learned .
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000