New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2016 :  12:31:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok I know a picture is worth a thousand words, but my dumb a** didn't take one. I will tomorrow and post it. In the mean time...

1980 IHC chassis with it's lovely split rims and poor condition tires. I'm switching it over to 11R22.5's and hit a roadblock on the front I've never seen and my tire guy hasn't run into it either.

In your mind's eye assemble a front dayton. Rim goes on, you pick up a clamp next. That clamp is flat with a groove cut out where it contacts the rim. Not mine...I have clamps that looks like the letter "L" when viewed from the side.

These fit just dandy with the old rims. New rims protrude outboard a bit farther I guess, and if I install these clamps, they (the clamps) don't sit flush against the spokes.

I've removed and reinstalled the rims about 30 times just because I want to believe I'm doing something wrong, but the things are fully seated on the hub.

I've thought about saying "It's tight so it's fine". I've thought about putting washers on the stud and then the clamo to shim them out. I can't find any different style clamp for the fronts in the books.

Is it fine? Use washers and if so what kind? This bus is due at a show in PA next weekend and I'm really trying to not ruin that. I foresee pitchforks and torches in my future if I do.

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2016 :  1:40:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See anything here?
http://truckpartsetc.com/sales/PDFs/Leland/Leland_RimClamps_426-433.pdf

or here?

http://www.midwesttruck.com/pdf/HD_WHEEL.pdf

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback

Edited by - Fastback on 05/26/2016 1:43:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2016 :  1:45:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmmm w408 looks promising
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2016 :  04:48:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do have a 1997 International bus with cast spoke wheels and tubeless rims here, I can see what the clamps look like.

Just took a close look, ours is six spoke and the clamp looks like W256 on the Leland page..

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback

Edited by - Fastback on 05/27/2016 04:59:31 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000