Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 06 dt 466 question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n2682

41 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2016 :  04:33:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit n2682's Homepage  Reply with Quote
bus shut down in parking lot before afternoon run. Gave the driver a back up bus hooked the scan tool up and found 0 codes could not get the bus to start back up. Put a new cam sensor in and it ran fine for a day and half then shutdown again on morning run. Finally got the scan tool to show me codes says incorrect crank and cam sensor signature. But i also notice it holds way more fuel pressure in the fuel bowl than the other buses do as if you turn the drain it sprays out the other buses just trickle out.I am thinking its getting air in the fuel system but i am not 100%. and are those codes from excessive cranking or is that really my issue rpms jump all over while cranking engine also

n2682

41 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2016 :  03:42:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit n2682's Homepage  Reply with Quote
corrected cam and crank sensor codes holds good fuel pressure but still wants to stumble and shut down no other codes present icp holds steady and ipr isn't ramping up to compensate no clue what this thing is doing or why
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2016 :  06:09:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just for fun, did you run through an injector solenoid test? ive seen similar issues (low power, hesitation, etc) with those dt's that after pulling my hair out, turned out to be a weak injector or 2. may not be your issue but that buzz test is a quick and easy one.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

n2682

41 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2016 :  07:57:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit n2682's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yes i did several buzz tests. i pulled the injectors out and sent them to be rebuilt hoping that is the issue. it passed a relative compression test and everything else checks out fine idm and pcm where also changed out in cause it was corruption and not throwing a code im lost really. never have i had one this hard to pin point
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2016 :  08:13:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sending out injectors for rebuild VS swapping for remans...why do you do it that way? I'm not saying it is wrong or anything, I'm just curious.
Go to Top of Page

n2682

41 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2016 :  09:07:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit n2682's Homepage  Reply with Quote
its close to the end of the year and i don't need this bus back in a hurry figured id try a new approach. if this was a vt365 engine i would send them to holderdown performance they give a better warrenty and replace more parts than any other remain company 5 year/100,000 mile
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2016 :  09:38:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gotcha. I've just been getting remans simply because I don't have a good injector guy anymore.
Go to Top of Page

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2016 :  3:36:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had more than one cam sensor go bad shortly after install- and without tossing codes.

:/
Go to Top of Page

n2682

41 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2016 :  04:03:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit n2682's Homepage  Reply with Quote
eddo i know i know i have changed it twice thinking maybe
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2016 :  06:42:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you check your fuel lines for leaking, sucking air? We have replaced many of those quad rings (1812348C1) for that very problem. You may not necessarily see any fuel leaking from them but they can suck air. Have you checked fuel pressure while running, acting up?
Go to Top of Page

jeeptjken

147 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2016 :  07:53:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
did you try pulling codes thru the dash I sometimes get a code in the dash that dosent show on my laptop just my .02 worth

How did you get the gosinta in the whatchamacallit
Go to Top of Page

n2682

41 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2016 :  04:36:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit n2682's Homepage  Reply with Quote
fuel pressure actually increases by about 7psi when it starts to shut down and yes i tried pulling codes through the dash. im at a stand still right now waiting on injectors to come back only few days left in the school year. ill keep this going tell it is fixed
Go to Top of Page

earl1412

101 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2016 :  1:04:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I pasted a passage from ISIS below, my question, is the return line getting blocked somehow?

A fuel pressure regulator valve is built into the fuel filter header assembly. The regulator valve is calibrated to open at 455 kPa ± 34 kPa (66 psi ± 5 psi) to regulate and relieve excessive fuel pressure. Excess fuel is sent through a fuel return line back to the fuel tank. Return fuel is not filtered.

Go to Top of Page

jeeptjken

147 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2016 :  1:50:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just had one of these in the shop and found the o ring from the pressure regulator had broke and wedged itself in the spring of the other check valve in the bottom and held it shut if you can look at 12mdto17201.gif from ic there is a check valve inside the return section of item 14 of that drawing it dosent show it because ic says its not serviceable but its in there

How did you get the gosinta in the whatchamacallit
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000