Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 '95 BB AA RE 8.3 hydraulic fan
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

opus

66 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2016 :  08:17:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit opus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Where/what tells my radiator fan to turn on? Obviously temperature, but where are the sensors? I know there is one down by the fan controller, near the oil reservoir. Then another on the air intake tube.

Reason I ask is it seems to be turn on at a higher temp lately. When it turns on, is it incremental or full on/ full off? Is there a temp adjustment? Do you know what temp it should turn on? I'm guessing 195-200 is where its at now.

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2016 :  08:31:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
solenoid valve behind hydraulic reservoir is controlled by a temp switch street side of the motor behind the alternator if i recall correctly. full on/off.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

opus

66 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2016 :  08:37:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit opus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The only 2 things I see are these. The right one is the solenoid valve by the reservoir.

Edited by - opus on 05/10/2016 08:38:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2016 :  09:06:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well the easiest thing to do is separate a mechanical problem from an electrical one by unplugging the solenoid. when cold and running that fan should kick on pretty hard. if you still have a slow engagement then youre looking at the hydraulics; the valve, worn motor, flow restriction, pump, etc. yours looks a bit different than mine. ive got a 90 AA and a 96 TC2000 but both systems are more or less the same.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

opus

66 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2016 :  09:08:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit opus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When I unplug either plugs, it turns on hard. So its not mechanical. I forgot to mention that before. I was thinking there might be a coolant temp sensor thats bad. I'm not even sure which temp it turns on at but I never remember it hitting 200 before it turns on.
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2016 :  11:22:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well i dont know for sure where it is on that model. it its not in the upper pipe between the radiator and the tstat, id bet its screwed into the head behind the alternator.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

opus

66 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2016 :  11:28:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit opus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Found it, upper radiator tube. All 3 work. Found this too: http://www.centralstatesbus.com/2003_BBAA/a3pdfs/a3hydfan.pdf
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000