New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2016 :  1:02:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, we've recently gone to the propane side. We have four 2015 Thomas C2's with the PTI 8.1, and six 2015-16 Visions with the Roush V10. What do you all use to read codes? The Thomases put the data on the 9 pin which we can read with our Zonar syatem (with some varying degree of accuracy) or get the SPN/FMI through the dash, but the BBs only have it on the OBDII plug as far as we can tell.

g0ttadrift
Advanced Member

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2016 :  1:54:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From what I've heard, you can use any OBD 2 scan tool with Ford diagnostics to read the Roush system.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2016 :  09:46:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by g0ttadrift

From what I've heard, you can use any OBD 2 scan tool with Ford diagnostics to read the Roush system.

True. You have to put in the right vehicle to get it to read though. I think it's like a Supercharged Mustang or something to read fuel pressure. lol

I have a Snap-On Pro-Link IQ that I've had mixed success with. I recently was trying to get fuel rail pressure and it took me a while to figure it out. I finally figured out I needed to plug into the parallel OBDII connector (there is also a J1931 9-pin on there too) and run an HD scan. It's been interesting to try and figure all this out. My BB dealer does a good job of coaching. lol

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2016 :  10:04:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about the PTI units? They sure need to be scanned more often than the Roush...

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2016 :  10:26:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by partsman_ba

How about the PTI units? They sure need to be scanned more often than the Roush...

Not sure. I've been to a class on them but do not own one. So, you're saying they are needing to be scanned more often because of problems? There's not that many in operation yet, is there?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2016 :  5:18:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have four of them. They have probably been available to drive routes about 50-70% of the time since purchase. We've had all of the fuel pumps replaced, a couple of throttle bodies, a throttle pedal... some of it has been the dealer throwing parts at a problem, but still, they haven't been what we would call reliable. The dealer reads codes through the dashboard by SPN/FMI.

Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2016 :  09:18:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by partsman_ba

We have four of them. They have probably been available to drive routes about 50-70% of the time since purchase. We've had all of the fuel pumps replaced, a couple of throttle bodies, a throttle pedal... some of it has been the dealer throwing parts at a problem, but still, they haven't been what we would call reliable. The dealer reads codes through the dashboard by SPN/FMI.

How are the V-10s doing for you?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2016 :  5:03:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No issues at all that I can think of.

Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2016 :  07:44:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One thing of note on the V-10s. I have been chasing a problem for a couple months now that I finally got fixed. This sounds weird but the driver was complaining about the engine cutting out. This would only happen rarely at first and then got worse. Ford dealer couldn't figure it out. We thought it might even be in the transmission. It was acting like the torque converter might coming in and out. Anyway, we put the scan tool on there (as I was saying earlier) and pulled up the part where you can monitor fuel pressure. I put it over on the graph screen and the driver drove it while I watched. It took darn near an hour but it started doing what it had been doing. The fuel pressure dropped off for a split second. I wouldn't have seen it if it hadn't been for the graph. Anyway, while looking for the problem (we were thinking corroded relay or something like that) I found two of the wires going to the coolant reservoir sensor rubbed down to bare wire. I ask our dealer, Central States, if that could cause it and he looked at the diagram and said it could indeed send a spike back to the ECU. Fixed the wiring and no problems yet.

In case you want to look at yours (just for grins), follow the wire from the sensor back up to where it goes by the driver's side coolant tank support. That's where it was rubbing.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

mwood

45 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2016 :  07:48:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit mwood's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Had this same problem on a 15 model vision with cummins engine. only happened when driver was coming and going in certain spot on the route.
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

One thing of note on the V-10s. I have been chasing a problem for a couple months now that I finally got fixed. This sounds weird but the driver was complaining about the engine cutting out. This would only happen rarely at first and then got worse. Ford dealer couldn't figure it out. We thought it might even be in the transmission. It was acting like the torque converter might coming in and out. Anyway, we put the scan tool on there (as I was saying earlier) and pulled up the part where you can monitor fuel pressure. I put it over on the graph screen and the driver drove it while I watched. It took darn near an hour but it started doing what it had been doing. The fuel pressure dropped off for a split second. I wouldn't have seen it if it hadn't been for the graph. Anyway, while looking for the problem (we were thinking corroded relay or something like that) I found two of the wires going to the coolant reservoir sensor rubbed down to bare wire. I ask our dealer, Central States, if that could cause it and he looked at the diagram and said it could indeed send a spike back to the ECU. Fixed the wiring and no problems yet.

In case you want to look at yours (just for grins), follow the wire from the sensor back up to where it goes by the driver's side coolant tank support. That's where it was rubbing.

Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2016 :  08:32:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Humm, that's interesting. Guess the wiring is run the same on the diesel models. Thanks for posting that! I haven't checked my other buses but I'm going to.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2016 :  08:34:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My opinion on scan tools for bus and our line of work is that the OEM tools are probably the best to have. Cummins insite and Univers Allison Doc are by far the easiest to use. When you have fault code and click on it it takes you straight to the manual troubleshooting for that code and it's updated. IC is the same way, but just not as user friendly. It helps to have bus ISIS, or OnCommand with it.
Bendix has a free software download for Bendix abs that works with any laptop and translator device. I have all of my diagnostics loaded on this laptop with wireless internet, so I can work on the bus in the parking lot if need be. I'm running $820 a year for renewal fees. TPXpowersource is a great place to buy diagnostic software. It is the OEM stuff but at a cheaper price. They sell bundle packages as well.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2016 :  10:14:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RonF

My opinion on scan tools for bus and our line of work is that the OEM tools are probably the best to have. Cummins insite and Univers Allison Doc are by far the easiest to use. When you have fault code and click on it it takes you straight to the manual troubleshooting for that code and it's updated. IC is the same way, but just not as user friendly. It helps to have bus ISIS, or OnCommand with it.
Bendix has a free software download for Bendix abs that works with any laptop and translator device. I have all of my diagnostics loaded on this laptop with wireless internet, so I can work on the bus in the parking lot if need be. I'm running $820 a year for renewal fees. TPXpowersource is a great place to buy diagnostic software. It is the OEM stuff but at a cheaper price. They sell bundle packages as well.

Does any of that work with the propane engines?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2016 :  11:45:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bwest,
No, they are IC and cummins engines only.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2016 :  12:08:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gottcha!!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2016 :  5:05:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, we've got InSite, DOC and the Bendix tool already. But we do have a new Snap-On Modis for our white fleet that maybe we can fake out to read the V10s. Just not sure what to do with the PTI POSs...

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000