Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 shop question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mwood

45 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2016 :  12:21:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit mwood's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How many busses to mechanics do most of you have in your shop. we have a 2 bay shop one side open floor one side with a pit(that I hate). Im the only mechanic here and we try not to out source nothing. We have 20 busses total nt counting work truck lawn equipment and whatever else they decide i should fix. Just for general discussion not to start wars between you and your bosses at all just curious. thanks

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2016 :  1:11:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
one bay shop with rotary mobile column lift, 13 buses, case wheel loader, JD backhoe, several forklifts including 2 classic 1960's hysters, several tractors, a few trucks, mowers, staff vans, and a bunch of electric carts...and just me. id take on double the buses if thats all i needed to focus on. the only things i tend to farm out are valve and cylinder rebuilds, and starter/alternator rebuilds.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

ICBUS07-30

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2016 :  2:37:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Currently at 30 soon to be 32 buses in a 3 bay garage 2 bays have in floor lifts. 4 trucks,1 van, about 8 tractors/gators,2 1/2 mechanics. Lately it seems most have been fixed at the dealer as we had 6 buses down last week.

Formally ICBUS0730
Go to Top of Page

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2016 :  3:26:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
right now I have 17 trucks: 13 IC's, 2 Chevy Express van's, 2 Fords- one E150, & one Ranger.
I don't have a pit, or any lifts, gotta do it all on my back. I do have an ancient floor jack that needs a new air hose, lol.

It's just me, and always has been. When I started here, we had 15 trucks, after a company merger, it went up to 29, and has slowly whittled it's way back to a very manageable 17.

:)
Go to Top of Page

g0ttadrift
Advanced Member

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2016 :  7:20:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have 90 buses and around 200 cars, trucks, vans, grounds equipment (tractors, rollers, backhoe, etc...). 7 mechanics, 1 does body work, 1 works on the cars, and the other 5 work on the buses. We have 4 work bays for buses, each with a lift. 2 work bays for the cars, with 1 4-post drive on lift and one in ground 2 post lift. We wouldn't be too bad here, except 2/3 of our fleet is 10-20 years old and everything is falling apart. And for all our buses, we only have 10 spares, so taking a bus down for more than a day is almost impossible if it's not required. Even with the staff we have, we can't keep up. We try not to source out anything either.

Edited by - g0ttadrift on 04/25/2016 7:21:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
799 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2016 :  8:37:34 PM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have 13 buses 2 bays no lifts just jacks . 4 Chevy Express vans , forklift .2 full size tractors , 2 trucks and 2 riding mowers and I am the only one
Go to Top of Page

n2682

41 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2016 :  03:15:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit n2682's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have 4 bays two lifts one in ground one mobile 50+ buses and dozen cars,trucks and two techs. normally only work on one at a time each because our spare bus situation is in bad shape
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2016 :  03:35:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have 2 shops. Our north end has 40 buses and 4 trucks with 2 mechanics in a 2 bay shop, no lift or pit. One mechanic does other jobs in the system

At our southend shop where I am we have 56 buses, 2 trucks and 2 drivers ed cars. I am the only full time technician here but I do have a bus driver helper that does oil changes, seats and other minor work. We are in discussion with the board to hire another full time mechanic on my end as well as land and a new transportation facility.
What's worse since we are a split county, we have on director and 2 secretaries, one at each end. That is all the full time staff for our department. I manage the fleet on me end of the county and am slowing managing the data side of the north end.
I send very little out for repairs as opposed to most of the work was out sourced before I came here.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

Ryan5r

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2016 :  04:17:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have 21 buses, 2 trucks, 5 vans and 3 trailers. I am the only mechanic in a 4 bay shop with no lift or pit. The last mechanic was "old school" and I'm currently trying to update the shop to make it more economical.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapa
Advanced Member

215 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2016 :  07:10:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit BigPapa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have a great shop. 18 bays. Two of these are for service and inspections with pits, one is for "White Fleet" with a two post lift. We have three sets of Koni mobile lifts. We have a full parts room, tire room, a "Fast Lane" for quick repairs and to top off fluids, and an automated bus wash that will also handle all the white fleet vehicles.

We run 15 techs, 4 service truck techs, shop foreman and assistant, two parts people, a full time upholstery man, and a four man video/GPS department.

We have just over 800 buses and around 300 "White Fleet" vehicles ranging from a Honda Civic to an FL112 Freightliner wrecker.
Go to Top of Page

mwood

45 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2016 :  08:02:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit mwood's Homepage  Reply with Quote
some of you have some very nice facilities. how do you like the portable lifts? what kind are they, and how tall of ceiling do you have to have to use them? I most definetly dont mind working alone but can be very frustrtaing when also trying to drive a route as well.
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2016 :  08:08:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.rotarylift.com/LIFTS/MCH418/

this is the one im rocking. i got a set of 4 tall stands with it too. brakes, kingpins, etc are the only jobs i do on the floor because i dont have an axle lift. but those jobs are pretty rare anyway. and its fun to watch coworkers freak out when i have the entire rear axle and suspension on the floor with the bus in the air.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

BigPapa
Advanced Member

215 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2016 :  08:34:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit BigPapa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ours are Stertil KONI Mobile Column Lifts. They work great and have given excellent service. We have had no major problems with them. They are inspected and serviced once a year. The last time they were serviced they found the cylinder leaking on two of them. Besides that the only issue we've had was a new tech messed up the jack on two of them because he didn't let the jack down before attempting to lift a bus. Fortunately, this results in the jack failing instead of the bus falling off the lift.

As to ceiling clearance, I'd say you'll need 17-18' minimum. That's figuring an 11' bus lifted 5.5'-6'.
Go to Top of Page

mwood

45 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2016 :  08:34:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit mwood's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I dont know how you know if your coming or going with that many untis running around. Granted ive only been here 2 years it can get very stressfull at times. we went from out sourcing everything to do with electronics or motor issues to me do all possible. Made some greta upgrades to our shop but it its a little small. with bus in the bay and against back door(with barely enough room to close) and front of bus towards other end of building you can open hood but have to crwl back under the crossover mirrors. besides that I like it. Have learned alot about them in last 2 years.
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapa

We have a great shop. 18 bays. Two of these are for service and inspections with pits, one is for "White Fleet" with a two post lift. We have three sets of Koni mobile lifts. We have a full parts room, tire room, a "Fast Lane" for quick repairs and to top off fluids, and an automated bus wash that will also handle all the white fleet vehicles.

We run 15 techs, 4 service truck techs, shop foreman and assistant, two parts people, a full time upholstery man, and a four man video/GPS department.

We have just over 800 buses and around 300 "White Fleet" vehicles ranging from a Honda Civic to an FL112 Freightliner wrecker.

Go to Top of Page

mwood

45 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2016 :  08:39:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit mwood's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have you had any issues with it? Something else you would prefer to have brand whise? I guess what im after is it worth the investment. ive swapped 2 trans. out on the floor but think it would be nice to stand up and do it.
quote:
Originally posted by krmvcs

http://www.rotarylift.com/LIFTS/MCH418/

this is the one im rocking. i got a set of 4 tall stands with it too. brakes, kingpins, etc are the only jobs i do on the floor because i dont have an axle lift. but those jobs are pretty rare anyway. and its fun to watch coworkers freak out when i have the entire rear axle and suspension on the floor with the bus in the air.

Go to Top of Page

mwood

45 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2016 :  08:46:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit mwood's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We only have about 13 feet ceilings so imagine that idea will be sctratched. thats my main problem with the pit i have also. it was built for last mechanic and he was 5ft 10in tall. im 6ft 6in tall. i change oil on my knees.
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapa

Ours are Stertil KONI Mobile Column Lifts. They work great and have given excellent service. We have had no major problems with them. They are inspected and serviced once a year. The last time they were serviced they found the cylinder leaking on two of them. Besides that the only issue we've had was a new tech messed up the jack on two of them because he didn't let the jack down before attempting to lift a bus. Fortunately, this results in the jack failing instead of the bus falling off the lift.

As to ceiling clearance, I'd say you'll need 17-18' minimum. That's figuring an 11' bus lifted 5.5'-6'.

Go to Top of Page

earl1412

101 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2016 :  09:14:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm in the same boat as Ryan5r, 33 buses ('00-'15),6 vans/ pickups,4 cars,3 grounds tractors, numerous small engines, and whatever the B&G head can come up with. Have a 2 bay shop built in 1962 with no pits, 2 Grey air operated bumper lifts, and just me. I also had to take over from an old school former mechanic, and have spent the past 2 years getting software/hardware to perform repairs in house. Have been pushing for wheel lifts, but "Lack of Funds" rears its ugly head.
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2016 :  09:28:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
5 years and zero issues with the rotary column lifts. but they wont work for you unless you have a taller building. transmission work is not bad. with a floor type trans jack i support it, remove it, then lift the bus. easy peasy.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

mwood

45 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2016 :  09:38:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit mwood's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Prevouis mechanic had been here 29 years. He started when they were still running good old small block chevy and 4 speed manual trans. He hated the new electronics and refused to use a computer. I have alaptop with cummins insite light and wabco for the abs. Havent got anything for allison yet but havent had alot of trouble other than what ive already fixed. Probably be stuck using air jack and floor trans jack from the soound of it. We purchased 1 new blue bird conventional thiss school year,getting 2 this upcoming year and are scheduled for 3 the following. Trying to sift thru all the cat c7s we have them ranging from a 91 model to 16 model. I really like the 99 and 00 model GMC wish we had more of them simple to work on and run great.
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2016 :  11:57:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wrong count, I have 59 buses total, 4 of which are dead and leaving some year and I have a 2 bay shop. Our parking lot has 42 spaces. We get creative parking in the summer time when most of the buses are here. We do allow some of the drivers to keep them at their house over the summer because of our parking issues.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

dferrell

102 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2016 :  12:28:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have 9 busses, 6 vans, plus several pickups, cars, mowers, etc. I'm the only mechanic. My shop is 1 bay with an in-ground lift. I also drive as a sub when needed. The nearest dealer is 2.5 hrs. away, so we rarely send anything out. Because of this, my boss is very good about getting whatever tools I need. It is almost always cheaper to just by what we need and fix it here. Plus then you already have it for the next time.
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2016 :  2:01:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
105 buses, 12 activity vans, 113 white fleet, and 34 pieces of driveable equipment. Most small engine stuff is being subbed out. We have 5 mechanics positions (short one person right now), one driver apprenticing on small repairs/PMs, one shop coordinator, and one parts person (me). We all drive buses when necessary, which has meant the loss of about 8 hours/day of shop work this year. Our shop has 3 underground lifts, two 2-posts, and two sets of Koni Earthlift portables. in 6 bus sized bays and two white fleet bays.

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
Go to Top of Page

g0ttadrift
Advanced Member

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2016 :  2:17:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@BigPapa How many buses out of those 800 are older than 10 years? Whats the average age of your fleet? I can't imagine keeping up with an average of 40 buses per mechanic. We're averaging around 18 right now. I think we would be fine if we didn't have any buses older than 10 years. That seems to be when all the major repairs start to show and the wheel wells start to rot out.
Go to Top of Page

baptistbusman1

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2016 :  3:24:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have a 3 bay shop, 46 buses, 5 cars that drivers use and a tractor that sits in the shop for 2 mechanics. We have 1 Napa air jack that we got in trouble for buying a few years ago, 6 big jack stands and 2 small jack stands.

I was formally Baptistbusman. However, I lost my password, and had not updated my email address.

Here is a link to my old posts. http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/forum/search.asp?mode=DoIt&MEMBER_ID=1846
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2016 :  04:53:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
33 buses, 10 vans/trucks/plows, one backhoe.
2 bays, no lifts or pits.
2 full time mechanics, one of which is a 20 year old apprentice.
Go to Top of Page

willism
Advanced Member

United States
250 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2016 :  05:59:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit willism's Homepage  Reply with Quote
73 busses 2 vans 1 service truck 2 pits 2 flats no lifts 1 lead and 2 mechanics
Go to Top of Page

mwood

45 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2016 :  06:40:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit mwood's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It seems that for some of u with hundreds of busee that would be a total nightmare. I don't know how you keep everything straight. How many spares buses do most of you keep? We have 3 and use them quit regular with trips.
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2016 :  08:49:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have 5 regular and 2 special needs spares. The 5 regular run everyday. Those are 92-96's. Our oldest one in the fleet is an 89 for a school shuttle. about a mile a day.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2016 :  09:40:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel like I'm doing good after reading all this. lol I only have 17 buses total with 11 units in use everyday. I wanted to go down a spare bus this year the the school board didn't want to trade two for one. Go figure. Anyway, I am the only one here and I've been doing it for over 22 years, so I know what needs attention now and what can wait (which helps on time). I fix most things except major repairs, of which I will pull the engine and have it rebuilt and I put it back in. Sometimes I do have issues I have to send to someone with better training/ tools than I have. That's fine because I'm also the TD so have to take care of all that goes with that (which is probably different than most TDs, lol) With the number of spares that I have I do have the option to ground one until the summer when I have a little more time to work it in. My oldest bus is a 1999 and I do have some trucks, tractors, saws, trimmers, scissor lifts, etc. running around too. Oh yeah, I have agreed to help the new guy at a neighboring district when he calls on the phone or drops by. I am glad to help him though, nice guy.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

mwood

45 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2016 :  11:20:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit mwood's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I appreciate all the input. I'm currently just the mechanic not TD. We knew we were gonna have some upset drivers so board appointed someone else to do that job. Hopes are to transfer to me in couple years.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapa
Advanced Member

215 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2016 :  12:11:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit BigPapa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by g0ttadrift

@BigPapa How many buses out of those 800 are older than 10 years? Whats the average age of your fleet? I can't imagine keeping up with an average of 40 buses per mechanic. We're averaging around 18 right now. I think we would be fine if we didn't have any buses older than 10 years. That seems to be when all the major repairs start to show and the wheel wells start to rot out.

We have around 320 buses that are over 10 years old. Average age is 8 years old. I just got word yesterday we're selling 52 of our '00's. That will shift our average age about a year.
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2016 :  1:00:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Average of 8 years old, good lord. We have 103 total buses, 69 of them are older than 8 years. So that's 66%. Most of our older fleet are TC2000's and the oldest running a daily route is a 1996. From what I have been told, when the county started transporting kids in 86 they have never replaced buses, just added on. We are running an 89 as a school shuttle. The only time a bus has been gotten rid of has been a few sold to the rec department and wrecked buses. The originals are sitting in a field at our north side shop. Myself and the new Assistant superintend of operations and personnel are working to get rid of them.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

g0ttadrift
Advanced Member

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2016 :  1:14:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks BigPapa and RonF...I think you guys are the closest to what we have going on at our district. We've been pushing admin. to trade out our older buses and get us newer ones and they have been the last couple of years, but not as fast as we'd like them to. I think this puts what we have going on in good perspective. Our average age is around 13 years old and we're trying to push for an average no more than 10. Thanks everyone for your input.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapa
Advanced Member

215 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2016 :  2:10:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit BigPapa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RonF

Average of 8 years old, good lord.

It is a bit skewed by the fact that we bought 124 buses last year. I think we have somewhere around 600-650 running everyday with the rest as spares or leased out to some of our charter schools.
Go to Top of Page

bfaulkner

168 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2016 :  09:07:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit bfaulkner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
3 bay, 2 Rotary post lifts. 31 Busses from 1994 to 2013, 4 Vans, 2 Techs. We keep most things in house but send out major body work. We also do work for 2 other districts when there light bulb changers can't.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000