New gasoline eninges
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2016 :  04:41:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It that time of the year and we are looking at our options for buses. Anyone out there running the BlueBirds with the V-10 gasoline engines? If so, thoughts?

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2016 :  09:50:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not running the gasoline version but we are running the propane version. No major problems yet. My oldest one is 2 years old and has almost 50k on it.
As for the gasoline model; I can't imagine it being beneficial. I'd say the MPG is going to be the same as a propane (or there abouts) and you aren't getting the benefits of propane or the price. I am currently paying 77 cents per gallon including tax. The MPG is about 4.5 to 5. So you do the math.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2016 :  12:33:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Being that it is a gas engine, that would do away with the DPF on all that goes with that. I don't know how cummins in going to fair in 5 to 10 years. I do know how IC is fairing, very poorly and not cheap to fix either.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2016 :  2:36:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RonF

Being that it is a gas engine, that would do away with the DPF on all that goes with that. I don't know how cummins in going to fair in 5 to 10 years. I do know how IC is fairing, very poorly and not cheap to fix either.

Yeah, that's the reason I decided to go with propane. The only post '07 emissions diesels I have are two ICs. I don't have any DPF on the place. It just doesn't make sense to me to continue to wrestle with them. Why aren't you looking into propane? If you don't mind me asking.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2016 :  03:36:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right now we have where at our location for a tank an there isn't anywhere for us to fill our buses with propane off site.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2016 :  07:19:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

quote:

Yeah, that's the reason I decided to go with propane. The only post '07 emissions diesels I have are two ICs. I don't have any DPF on the place. It just doesn't make sense to me to continue to wrestle with them. Why aren't you looking into propane? If you don't mind me asking.

Fortunately for me, ive encouraged my school to purchase new buses over the last 6 years, all cummins isc/isl. and because we are a private school with students coming from across 3 counties, my buses get a lot of highway run time. (a few over 120 miles round trip twice a day). over this time ive only had one issue with a dpf on pre epa10 system, and a turbo that was covered under warranty. im not considering alt fueled buses because these are working out great.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2016 :  05:15:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by krmvcs

quote:
Originally posted by bwest

quote:

Fortunately for me, ive encouraged my school to purchase new buses over the last 6 years, all cummins isc/isl. and because we are a private school with students coming from across 3 counties, my buses get a lot of highway run time. (a few over 120 miles round trip twice a day). over this time ive only had one issue with a dpf on pre epa10 system, and a turbo that was covered under warranty. im not considering alt fueled buses because these are working out great.

That's interesting. I'm glad you're having good service from them. I've always suspected that if we could run more miles per bus that there would be less issues. I don't want to highjack the thread here so I'll stop now. lol

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000