Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Update on CRS CR2B availability
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BigPapa
Advanced Member

215 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2016 :  08:02:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit BigPapa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For those of us using the CRS Sleeping Child Reminder alarms, there are now two options available.

Option 1 - Doran offers their SCC-AM-00 system now with a retro-fit harness, part #SCC-AM-DOR2CRS, to plug up to the connector for the CR2B. It is supposed to be a direct replacement. Mid South Bus worked with Doran for us on this and they are supposed to be shipping any day now.

Option 2 - Our local Rush Truck Center has worked with another company to develop a unit that does not require the harness but plugs up directly where the CR2B connects. It is programmable to meet any parameters you may need. We are going with this unit as our Fleet Ops Mgr and our Shop Foreman tested this unit on one of our buses that had the CR2B and really like the ease of connection and the programmability.

-Scott

BigPapa
Advanced Member

215 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2016 :  10:26:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit BigPapa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rush's part number is 105963:RBT. My Rush rep, Jim Davis, 615-519-0306, said he would be glad to ship them anywhere.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapa
Advanced Member

215 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2016 :  11:53:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit BigPapa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just thought I'd let you know, we received our new units from Rush today. Their part number is 105963:RBT Bus-Scan CR2 Child Reminder Alarm System.
Go to Top of Page

57fan

United States
148 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2016 :  9:39:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
please explain exactly what you are describing. is this just wiring replacements or is this replacement CR2A or CR2B modules. Also what buses are these systems in? Thanks.

Lead, Follow or get out of the way! Thomas Paine
Go to Top of Page

BigPapa
Advanced Member

215 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2016 :  06:57:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit BigPapa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have well over 600 of the CRS CR2B units on the majority of our 800 buses and we have been scrambling to find a replacement since finding that CRS went belly up back in October.

I am not familiar with the CR2A, we only use the CR2B. Our distributor says the units are physically identical but the difference between the two units is the delay time to allow the driver to get to the switch, that the delay is longer on the "B" than the "A".

So, that said, the Robotics Technologies, Inc. BusScan CR2 is a complete unit that directly replaces the CRS CR2B. We have received our initial (10) units and have already installed two of them. Unplug the CR2B and plug in the BusScan CR2 and you're done. No rewiring needed. There are three dip switches on the back of the unit that will need to be setup for the options you want. One switch is for "Instant Arming", one is not used at this time, and the other puts the unit in "Diagnostic Mode".

From my understanding these are available exclusively from Rush Truck Center - Nashville. Contact info is listed above. Robotics Technologies, Inc. has a website here:

http://www.roboticstech.com/busscan/

and their phone number is 800-995-6056 or 815-722-7650.

Please don't take this as some type of sales pitch for this product, Rush, or Robotics Technologies, Inc. I don't have a dog in that hunt. I'm just trying to help my fellow bus people with a solution to a problem.

Edited by - BigPapa on 04/12/2016 07:00:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

57fan

United States
148 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2016 :  10:17:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for clearing up exactly what you were recommending. Our district purchased the CRS system in September not knowing the company was about to go out of business. So we will be installing the systems (CR2B) as time allows (since we cannot send them back) and we have 6 more buses that will be arriving this spring and will need units for them.

There is not much information on Roboticstech web site about there replacement module. Do you know if the wiring harness is available from them as well..

On another note, what kind of tips can you share to install on Thomas buses with the circuit boards (boards 1 & 2) in relation to the disarming circuit and them darn Diodes. It seems that the biggest issue with installing the CRS system is the disarming circuit. Currently trying to install in a 2016 ford E-450 chassis Thomas Minitour.

Thanks for sharing the link and info.

Lead, Follow or get out of the way! Thomas Paine
Go to Top of Page

BigPapa
Advanced Member

215 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2016 :  11:23:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit BigPapa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Bus-Scan CR2 is strictly a replacement for the CRS CR2B so it does not come with a connector, wiring harness, or any detailed WIRING installation instructions.

The CRS website, http://crselectronics.com/support/index.php , is still up and has several wiring diagrams for different brands and models there. They are in a PDF format so I would suggest saving them to a computer so you can print them out or use them later in case the website goes down.

We only have a few Minitours, 30 of them are Chevy C3500's that have the Child Checkmate system but we do have 11 E350's that have the CRS system on them. The E350's came from Thomas with the system already installed. I don't think we have installed a CRS system on a bus that didn't already have it on there.

I did ask one of our older techs about installing the CRS system on an E450 Minitour and he suggested not putting the CRS system on but to just go ahead and get rid of the E450's, that you'd be better off in the long run.......

Edited by - BigPapa on 04/13/2016 11:25:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

BigPapa
Advanced Member

215 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2016 :  11:59:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit BigPapa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, I stand corrected. Evidently Jim has found our forum and has been monitoring my posts.

There is a COMPLETE system coming with the wiring harness and installation instructions next week. I will post the part numbers then.
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2016 :  3:03:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
looks like im going to have to install these systems sooner or later out here in California. any recommendations? ive been looking for youtube videos of these systems in action and havent seen much. the other thing that may complicate matters is that drivers in CA are required to shut the motor off while loading/unloading.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2016 :  04:17:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might want to check out Child Checkmate, I know they have a setup specifically for California's needs.
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2016 :  07:27:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
am i the only one (as a tech) who is bothered by the installation of electronic devices like this in order to ensure that a professional fulfills their obligations? how about a starter interlock on the compartment for the first aid kit and fire extinguisher? or switches in the wheel wells? that way an operator cannot leave the yard until theyve checked those items on their pretrip. how about we pay these people more $$$ to be the professionals they are. i understand that the system is intended to prevent a child from being left on the bus, but if a system is needed to remind someone to do their job then shouldnt they be disqualified for said job?
im interested in what you all think.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2016 :  08:29:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Preaching to the choir, friend. Thank the 2% of drivers who are too lazy and/or stupid to do the most basic part of the job (look for leftovers) AND the attorneys who profit the most from the situations.

NOW...that being said...the other 98% have a routine...then something happens out of the norm for that routine. Maybe a coworker runs up when they park to complain about this-that-and-the-other, or it's raining and the driver sees that left their car windows open...something like that. Just enough to mess you up. Those are the ones I feel bad for when it happens to them.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapa
Advanced Member

215 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2016 :  03:54:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit BigPapa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Robotics Technologies, Inc. has updated their website with any info you may need on the Bus-Scan CR2 complete with downloadable brochure, wiring diagram, and door switch accessory:

http://www.roboticstech.com/cr2/
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2016 :  10:18:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by krmvcs

am i the only one (as a tech) who is bothered by the installation of electronic devices like this in order to ensure that a professional fulfills their obligations? how about a starter interlock on the compartment for the first aid kit and fire extinguisher? or switches in the wheel wells? that way an operator cannot leave the yard until theyve checked those items on their pretrip. how about we pay these people more $$$ to be the professionals they are. i understand that the system is intended to prevent a child from being left on the bus, but if a system is needed to remind someone to do their job then shouldnt they be disqualified for said job?
im interested in what you all think.

If you've read any of my posts you will know I can be pretty cantankerous at times. I do not like added electronic gadgetry of any kind. A very large reason I went to propane was the problems that were added when the emissions components were installed on an otherwise great engine platform. I added the crossing arms to my busses gripping and whining the whole time.

However, I believe the crossing arm and the child check system are great additions! It only takes one time for a driver to be distracted and a child is hurt or killed. I am in favor of both components.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

mtyson8

1 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2016 :  12:49:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit mtyson8's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have 3 brand new ones of these for sale. Might have fourth one also.

Edited by - mtyson8 on 05/06/2016 1:55:40 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000