Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Maxxforce DT EGR check
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2016 :  06:23:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Can anyone tell me how to check the EGR cooler for leaks on a 2007 EPA Maxxforce DT? Have one that is using lots of coolant, but no external leaks. I can only imagine it is the EGR Cooler. Oil does not look milky and it seems to have a hint of smoke/steam coming out of the exhaust.

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2016 :  09:24:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unhook the exhaust ports of the cooler and pressurize the cooling system.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

mhernandez73

124 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2016 :  04:35:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit mhernandez73's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I take off crossover pipe from cooler to egr. if its leaking egr will be wet
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2016 :  04:50:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You need to inspect the DOC and the DPF after the coolant leak is repaired..
Go to Top of Page

mastertech
Advanced Member

274 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2016 :  1:13:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit mastertech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just did a mf7 a couple weeks ago . It filled number 8 cylinder up with coolant and hydrolocked the engine for the morning startup. You can also see black stuff leaking out the turbo /headpipe clamp. Those coolers are actually easy to remove. Once out you should see coolant inside . I hook a hose up to the coolant pipe while on the bench and pressurize with 20psi air. Dunk it in a bucket or plug one end and fill with water . If its leaking you will get bubbles . Let it sit for a while and just look for constant bubbles.
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2016 :  08:59:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Borrowed the actual tool for testing and hot side tested bad. Gonna check cold side and see what happens.
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2016 :  11:50:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tested cold side, tested good. Is there anyway to clean the cold side cooler? What about the EGR valve? DPF will need to be baked as well.
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2016 :  09:58:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Update: Got bus back together with new EGR cooler and DPF cleaned. It was wanting a regen, but would not do it. Hooked up laptop and had active code for VGT performance. Pulled turbo and pulled it apart. It was pretty disgusting. We are going to get a new turbo and get this one rebuilt and put it on the shelf for the next one that goes down.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000