New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2016 :  04:27:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have an 07 ic junk 365 it i put a reman motor in it do to low compression in cylinder five but anyway i did thi about two weeks ago and today it would not start it cranks but no fire if u crank it for a while white smoke starts poring out the tail pipe there are no codes icp read look good while cranking any ideas

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2016 :  05:19:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm replacing one now, VT365 are well known for smoking. I replaced injectors on one and it helped a little but still smokes. I'm there with you brother I hate these hunks of junk with a passion.
Go to Top of Page

earl1412

101 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2016 :  07:41:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You may want to check the oil pressure at the front test port of the engine, just above the fan pulley. I have one down now that just decided to loose all oil psi today, was running for 2 hours yesterday. I think it's the low pressure oil pump or oil pressure regulator, we'll see later on.
Also, I have been getting flack from the IC dealer to not use aftermarket oil filters, as they supposedly are too long, and cause filter media to break off and get into the system. I've been using carquest 84312 filters, but will be switching to Fleetgard lf16166's, just remember to buy the new caps if you're switching. Anything to cover their a--!
earl
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2016 :  09:19:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
P.O.S. IC wonders why I don't want anything to do with their buses anymore. (The engine issues are just one of many IC problems.)
Anyway we are in the process of having the last 3 of these motors replaced with rebuilds and yesterday the dealer that is doing the change over calls and says the bus is ready. We get there and try to start the bus, cranks but don't start, it wants to but wouldn't after the 4th time the engine warning light came on. I told the service manger what it was doing, threw her the keys on the desk and walked out.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

wjbusguy

United States
42 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2016 :  10:56:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit wjbusguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have replaced the motors in the two buses we have with 365's using Jasper rebuilds. One is still going and the other decided to come apart and poke a hole in the oil pan with 20,000 miles on it. They are so much fun!!
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2016 :  2:45:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah this bus I put a jasper complete unit in bout year and a half lost compression in cylinder 5 the did warrenty it but called and said all the cylinders where washed out and asked how often we changed fuel filters and told them we do that every 6 months and they said there is a bad fuel problem anyways this is now the same bus that wont start I opened fuel filter housing up and the fuel smelled funny and it looked like water was in ther I cleaned bowl out put some atf in there put all back together and it fired right up cause half to start getting fuel from somewhere else
Go to Top of Page

mastertech
Advanced Member

274 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2016 :  11:02:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit mastertech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If your getting clouds and I mean clouds of white/grey smoke that smells like diesel chances are good you have a cracked injector tip. Unplugging one injector at a time or doing an injector kill test and if the smoke drops of dramatically thats the one. Egr coolers will use coolant and you will get a black dripping stain off the turbo band clamp. Vt365 injector I have found have a short lifespan. Our original ones started with stiction problems at 30000 miles and then IH piecemeal replaced them until out of warranty . If you get 100000 miles on them consider it a miracle and change the set out. Its OK to use rebuilt ones in a conventional bus because they can be changed out quickly as rebuids have an extremely high failure rate. On vans which take days to replace I use new only .
As far as loosing oil pressure on the low side the pumps go bad because of debris and that can come from the cam and lifter chipping out or rocker arm tips breaking up. Either way dont just replace the pump without finding the cause. Always make sure the oil cooler isnt plugged by watching the oil and coolant temps. If they are more than 15 degrees apart the oil cooler is plugged and will overheat the egr cooler causing them to crack over and over again. These engines have some serious issues but now all of our maxxforce 7's are trying to take over the top spot of most expensive/annoying engine to repair. I wish I could say our new 6.7 cummins were great but they too are showing their age and several have let go already . The diesels days are long gone for reliabilty and cost savings.
Go to Top of Page

earl1412

101 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2016 :  06:03:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I wish I could say our new 6.7 cummins were great but they too are showing their age and several have let go already . The diesels days are long gone for reliabilty and cost savings.

I don't want to hijack this thread, as I hate VT365's also, but mastertech, how many miles or hours are you getting on the 6.7 ISB's before they come apart? I have 8 of these all less than 2 model years old and have only DEF system problems so far. (Covered via warranty).
I would like to let my committee members know about when to expect troubles.
You can pm me if you want.
Thank you,
earl1412
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2016 :  09:38:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 8 ISB 6.7's One is a 2012 with 75,000 miles, the others or 2014's and 2016's with 10,000-40,000 miles. Other then a water pump no issues to report.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2016 :  11:21:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have 10 ISB from 130,000 to 230,000 in 2012 Thomas C2 with basically just DEF issues and water pumps. Really good engine for us. One turbo in the 130,000 range.
Go to Top of Page

earl1412

101 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2016 :  1:21:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you RonF and Bassman for your input. I was hoping that I didn't make a mistake in ordering the 6.7's!
earl

Back on with hating VT365's, just learned that a rocker arm fatigued and let all the little parts into the engine oil system, and that's what caused the oil pressure to drop out in the motor I had above, just wonderful!

Edited by - earl1412 on 02/09/2016 1:31:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

mastertech
Advanced Member

274 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2016 :  6:42:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit mastertech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ISB 6.7 issues 2013 and newer all less than 100k. Several with high crankcase pressure =ring failures, 1 2015 with spun rod bearing ,several belt tensioners,1 face plugging of the cat, DEF system failures of every sort from urea tank sensors ,line heaters,countless wiring/connector corrosion issues,module failures,1 nox sensor, 100 percent radiator failures from lower tank corrosion. So far the 6.7's have been on par with the 2010 maxxforce 7 for durability. Nothing as devastating as the vt365 is to maintain but not exactly bulletproof either.
When looking at cost of ownership you need to take a good look at the cost of maintaining the exhaust systems once they are out of warranty . Price out some of the parts once your jaw will drop.
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2016 :  04:56:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok still haven startin problem with this bus it runs fine all day when it sits over night it cranks and cranks and white smoke poors out tail pipe if i put a super small amount of starter fluid in i mean barely take spray it fires right up and with run and start all day til it sits over night still no codes ran all injector tests everything is good
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2016 :  05:05:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mastertech

,several belt tensioners,

Do these happen to be Blue Bird AAFE buses?
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2016 :  05:35:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not hijacking here but I don't have these issues with propane. This is a major reason I went this route. You just can't add all this garbage to an engine and expect it to be reliable. I have observed my whole adult life and the simpler something is the longer it will last. I have experience with the old single cylinder oil field engines, they will sit there and run 24 hours a day 7 days a week on unrefined and unfiltered well head gas and give no trouble. Simple would be an understatement with them. lol

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2016 :  05:42:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dsalinas1939

ok still haven startin problem with this bus it runs fine all day when it sits over night it cranks and cranks and white smoke poors out tail pipe if i put a super small amount of starter fluid in i mean barely take spray it fires right up and with run and start all day til it sits over night still no codes ran all injector tests everything is good

Do you know for sure the glow plugs are all working? Or maybe losing fuel prime overnight.
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2016 :  06:33:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thats ny next check is the glow plug solenoid the fuel bowl is fuel and i am sure its getting fuel cause u smell raw fuel and it smokes like a chimney when crankin but runs great and no smoke if i help it start
Go to Top of Page

earl1412

101 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2016 :  08:51:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dsalinas1939

thats ny next check is the glow plug solenoid the fuel bowl is fuel and i am sure its getting fuel cause u smell raw fuel and it smokes like a chimney when crankin but runs great and no smoke if i help it start

Just had an issue with the same complaint. Found that 4 of the 8 glow plugs weren't working. 3 were open electrically, 1 had a high resistance.
2006 VT365 with 98,000 miles uses ZD13 motorcraft glow plugs. 10.20 each from carquest.
earl
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2016 :  09:50:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think i had a stuck solenoid cause i went out to test it i turn key on and went to test i hit it by mistake and i heard it click and bus starts right up so gonna replace it and recheck in am all the glow plugs are new they came with the reman motor
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000