06 VT 365 loads of smoke
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
800 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2016 :  9:46:13 PM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The last few days this engine is putting out grayish smoke . Smoke is so bad you can't see the back of the bus . I have read lots wrong with these engines . I thought bad turbo . There has been oil around the turbo tube boots .I pulled off the tube going to charge air cooler and it had oil in it . Then I was reading it could be EGR cooler . Does anybody have any thoughts on this If the bus sits and idles no smoke .How would I check the EGR cooler ? The fluid levels aren't going down .Engine is in one of those low profiles with a 150000 miles on it .

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2016 :  03:35:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Put a pressure tester on the coolant tank and pressurize the cooling system to 15 psi and watch for it to leak down. Do it both hot and cold. I have one doing the same thing right now. It is the egr cooler. However we are replacing the entire motor. It also has 150000 miles on it.
We opted last year to budget replacement motors for all of our 365's that have not already had to be replaced. The rebuilds come with all the new upgrade junk on them.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

Troy87

United States
52 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2016 :  04:22:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another problem with those engines was the fuel injectors. At idle, not much smoke, on acceleration the injectors dump fuel in the cylinders causing heavy smoke, low power, etc... We had a few 365's that we had to replace all 8 injectors. You might want to check those before scraping the whole thing.

Edited by - Troy87 on 02/05/2016 04:23:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2016 :  05:21:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What Troy87 said, replacing the injectors helped with the smoking on our units. They still smoke just not as much.
Go to Top of Page

earl1412

101 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2016 :  07:31:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just getting a unit back into service, had to replace EGR cooler first, that cleared up the white smoke, then had to replace all 8 injectors and wire harnesses, only 113,000 miles, this is the 3rd egr cooler in it. Gotta love the VT365's!
earl
Go to Top of Page

wjbusguy

United States
42 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2016 :  10:45:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit wjbusguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have 2 of those lovely units. After the second egr cooler in 80,000 miles I pulled it off and welded plugs in both ends of the exhaust openings and pulled the intake and decrusted it. No more antifreeze in the exhaust, no more exhaust in the intake....
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000