Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 2010 IC bus fuel issue
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wjbusguy

United States
42 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2016 :  2:41:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit wjbusguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Got kind of a strange one here. 2010 IC bus with the DT motor. It quit yesterday on a route, fuel filter light came on and it ran out of fuel and died. I took a filter with me and pulled the old one and it looked fine but I swapped a new one in then I noticed the primer button was sucked in all the way and wouldnt work. I could pull it out and it would slowly pull itself back in like it had a vacuum on it. I went back and took the fuel cap off and no vacuum in the tank. I started unscrewing the little prescreen filter and as soon as the o-ring seal on it came above the housing I heard this little sucking noise and the primer button popped out and started working normal. The fuel system primed up like it is supposed to and the bus ran fine back to the shop. Apparently the section of the fuel system from the primer button to the pickup tube in the tank was plugged off and had been sucked into a vacuum. I have heard rumors that this vintage of bus can have a baffle in the tank that can come loose and can get sucked up against the pickup tube and temporarily plug the line off but this thing held that vacuum for probably thirty minutes till I unscrewed the screen and relieved it. If it was that baffle, I cant imagine that it would hold a vacuum that long. If it was a piece of ice or debris, thats still a long time for it to hold a vacuum. Anybody ran into an issue like this before?

Mike

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2016 :  3:43:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Does this bus have the mechanical fuel pump or electric? We have some 2010s that are 2007 EPA engines and still have the mechanical fuel pump. There is a check valve inside the fuel pump that comes apart and can cause problems. Typically it comes apart and sends debris into the fuel filter housing, but maybe a possibility that a piece got lodged in there somehow and it held a vacuum on it. Might be a stretch, but might be worth checking.
Go to Top of Page

mastertech
Advanced Member

274 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2016 :  5:10:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit mastertech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yep its hard to believe a broken plate can get sucked up against the pickup tube but we had it a couple times. A couple of small cuts in end of the pickup tube fixes the issue as you cannot remove the broken baffles. Its pretty hard to see the baffles laying on the bottom of the tank as well but if you reach down with a magnet you can pick them up and move them around.
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2016 :  05:29:20 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I assume you are in a warm climate? sounds like fuel gelled or water froze in between tank and engine here in Northern state....Can be winter/January issue here...

You might also check to see how much of the zinc coating is gone from your filler neck on fuel tank, IC has been zinc coating inside of filler neck since 2008ish... I have seen the main fuel line completly plugged with that coating at the rock trap/fuel heater/electric fuel pump area, after it came off filler neck... Also pulled out large enough pieces to lay flat across fuel heater and stop flow of fuel... This seemed to be more of an issue with my DT's that have the electric fuel pump... IC recomends pulling filler neck and removing zinc coating to keep from having an issue, doesn't make sence to me,but they are still using the same coating inside of filler neck on my new busses... job security for bus mechanics??
Go to Top of Page

wjbusguy

United States
42 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2016 :  06:47:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit wjbusguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replys guys! Yes the bus has a mechanical fuel pump. I am located in southeast Idaho so we are in winter here. I havent seen any flakes or debris in the filter housing when Ive changed filters on any of our buses. I have a nice filter on the dispenser pump so the fuel from the tank should be pretty clean before it gets to the buses. The more I think about it I am leaning toward the baffle sucking up to the pickup tube scenario. If it was ice I dont think it would have gone away instantly like this did where the baffle would have. I havent messed with the pickup tubes before, can they be pulled through the access plate in the floor where you would get to a sending unit? Changed a few sending units out on late 90's bluebirds but never messed with an IC sender yet.
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2016 :  08:02:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might want to check for jelling of the fuel or break down if there is any bio-diesel in it.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

exmod110

150 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2016 :  08:34:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit exmod110's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just changed the filter housing on the same year of bus, there were pieces of... spring, brass some other material and plastic. looked like a check valve or something let go, this is fairly common failure from what I have heard in my neck of the woods. It had one complaint of fuel filter light with a low fuel press code then a no start with no fuel in the filter housing, fuel was not gelled and lines not blocked or restricted.
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2016 :  08:58:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Exmod110 does that bus have a mechanical fuel pump? If so, read my reply above.
Go to Top of Page

exmod110

150 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2016 :  09:45:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit exmod110's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It does have a mechanical pump. Service info shows 2 check valves, one either side of the manual primer but nada in the pump.
this is what I found.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mesi3mxcs035d8z/20160118_101206.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n124bq9q06r0war/20160118_101232.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wznhuku0659rhzg/20160118_110023.jpg?dl=0
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2016 :  10:44:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Judging by the size of the smaller spring, it is the check valve inside the mechanical fuel pump. I've never seen brass bits in there, mine have always been plastic pieces and the spring. I don't know for sure if there are any other check valve assemblies in the fuel filter header that could come apart.
Go to Top of Page

exmod110

150 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2016 :  11:19:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit exmod110's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the brass was in the primer and never made it to the filter side..
It is running well atm but if it has any other issues I will look closely at the fuel pump. Unfortunately it is the only on of that year I have so I have nothing to compare it to. I guess the fix is a new fuel pump as the pumps are not serviceable?
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2016 :  11:37:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Correct. The new pumps look to have a slightly different design to them, so maybe an upgrade of sorts. But, this is IC, so it's doubtful.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000