Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 2005 Freightliner C7 foamy coolant
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2016 :  06:43:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have a 2005 Freightliner with a C7 that is having foamy coolant. All I know so far is that she starts it up in the morning and has no coolant in the sight glass on the tank, she brought it to the door this morning to have it topped off, and after only running for just a few minutes (from her parking spot to the garage door), I took the cap off and lots of foamy coolant came out. I haven't seen this before. Any ideas?

g0ttadrift
Advanced Member

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2016 :  8:00:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had this happen to a few of our Cummins 5.9L engines. It ended up being a bad head gasket...the foam was greenish brown. We initially thought it was because we switched our shop coolant, but it wasn't happening to our other buses. There was no visible coolant leaks, but we were topping off the coolant every couple of days. Good luck, I'd start with putting a pressure tester on the coolant system and run the engine, see if the needle jumps up and down.
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2016 :  04:40:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The foam isn't an odd color, but I will put a pressure tester on it and see what happens.
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2016 :  06:31:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What type of coolant? Is the correct type called for by the engine manufacture? ( Cummins?) When is the last time it was tested? When is the last time it was changed?

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2016 :  04:23:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is Mobil CATEC1 coolant. This should be a suitable coolant for the engine. I don't know the last time it was tested or changed, but will dig further for that information.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000