Propane Buses
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

eshover

146 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2016 :  07:49:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit eshover's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I knew there had to be someone else having this problem. Our salesman said he has talked to others and no one has had the problem in our area.Our bus had about 25,000 to 30,000 miles when a stud decided to break off. Repaired under warranty with stainless studs put back in. Drivers side rear one broke off.
ED

On a unrelated note it wouldn't start the other day, no dash lights,headlights,radio, nothing except a click in the center floor area. To make it start I disconnected the batteries for a minute and the rehooked and it started. Must have reset something to make it come back on.
Go to Top of Page

jeeptjken

147 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2016 :  05:10:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just my .02 worth with the price of one set of injectors and 1 turbo in a diesel bus I can put a nice long block in a propane bus I cant get a dt466 to hit 200,000 without a set of injectors and a turbo and most will need a shack and bake of the catalyst as well so gas makes sense in our neck of the woods

How did you get the gosinta in the whatchamacallit
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2016 :  05:58:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeeptjken

just my .02 worth with the price of one set of injectors and 1 turbo in a diesel bus I can put a nice long block in a propane bus I cant get a dt466 to hit 200,000 without a set of injectors and a turbo and most will need a shack and bake of the catalyst as well so gas makes sense in our neck of the woods

Gasoline or propane? Either way, I understand your logic. This is the same logic I'm using to run propane. The difference with propane is that it's a heck of a lot cheaper per gallon and it burns cleaner.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2016 :  07:25:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carp_26

quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

If I'm picking on you, I'm leaving somebody else alone.

A nearby school is expecting the state's first IC propane bus any day now (if not already there). Looking forward to seeing under the hood on that one.

Thomasbus24...Do you know if the first Ohio IC Propane unit was delivered? Has the unit been inspected and placed into route service? Sorry to bump this topic but I've been curious about this since I read it in your original post.

An update to this: I saw the bus at the dealer last week. It was inside being lettered and going through it's PDI and I wasn't allowed in the shop to see it up close unfortunately (OSHA regs you know).

It should be at the district now and I plan to check with someone up that way to see what they think and try to go up and check it out. I'll post pics.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2016 :  09:58:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Carp_26
Administrator

United States
170 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2016 :  1:58:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the update!
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2016 :  05:56:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Carp_26

quote:

If I'm picking on you, I'm leaving somebody else alone.

A nearby school is expecting the state's first IC propane bus any day now (if not already there). Looking forward to seeing under the hood on that one.

Thomasbus24...Do you know if the first Ohio IC Propane unit was delivered? Has the unit been inspected and placed into route service? Sorry to bump this topic but I've been curious about this since I read it in your original post.

An update to this: I saw the bus at the dealer last week. It was inside being lettered and going through it's PDI and I wasn't allowed in the shop to see it up close unfortunately (OSHA regs you know).

It should be at the district now and I plan to check with someone up that way to see what they think and try to go up and check it out. I'll post pics.

Looking back through some topics here. Did you ever get a chance to take a close look?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2016 :  06:11:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, I never did make the time to do that. I'll have to get ahold of my contact up there and try to set something up soon.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2016 :  07:21:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool! Look forward to hearing your opinion. I'm also wondering about long term and if they are having any troubles. Wonder when Thomas and IC will put a larger tank in? I don't really know why they haven't done it already, they are all buying the tanks off of the same company.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2016 :  08:20:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2nd hand info is all I have, but I'm told they are still in love with the thing and plan to buy another!
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2016 :  10:16:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

jeeptjken

147 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2016 :  11:38:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We now have 5 gas birds and 5 diesel birds and 2 propane birds love those gas birds 8 mpg and quiet no block heater and heat oh they make heat on those cold mornings my drivers love them

Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2016 :  12:22:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
8mpg!!! On a route?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

jeeptjken

147 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2016 :  12:58:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no but on trips I get the same as my 5 diesels on route I would guess 5 or 6 ish but theres no DEF no block heater and gas is cheaper too

Go to Top of Page

black

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2016 :  07:39:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit black's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Our new gas Bird is getting 7mpg on the route. Its a 71 passenger hydraulic brake.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2016 :  05:30:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by black

Our new gas Bird is getting 7mpg on the route. Its a 71 passenger hydraulic brake.

WOW!!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2016 :  04:58:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok guys, I made it out there Saturday night. Yes, my life really is THAT lame

https://www.flickr.com/photos/27265743@N03/albums/72157672896620043

Sorry for the dark photos, but it was in a barn at night, not much to do to resolve that condition!

I tried to get overview and details of each side, let me know if you want any specific photos and I'll try to get them. So far, so good with this unit.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2016 :  05:25:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ok guys, I made it out there Saturday night. Yes, my life really is THAT lame

https://www.flickr.com/photos/27265743@N03/albums/72157672896620043

Sorry for the dark photos, but it was in a barn at night, not much to do to resolve that condition!

I tried to get overview and details of each side, let me know if you want any specific photos and I'll try to get them. So far, so good with this unit.

Do you have pics of the tank? I believe the tanks are all made by the same company.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2016 :  05:32:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wanted to, but it was too dark in back of the bus.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2016 :  09:23:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000