Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 heater blowing fuse
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jasoncrain81

13 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2015 :  8:19:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jasoncrain81's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm working on a 2014 Thomas C2 and the rear passenger heater (atf) keeps blowing the fuse... anyone have any idea on this? i'm not the best on electrical trouble shooting. thanks

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
469 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2015 :  08:05:07 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
We just worked on one of these except it was the forward heater. The wiring leaves the main PDM under the switch panel and goes up through the curtain rail and down to the heater. See if your rear unit is near an emergency exit window, the forward heater wiring runs down alongside the rear of the front e window and around the bottom corner then through the side wall to a hole along the floor inside the hose run cover. Ours was shorted out where the wiring made the turn under the window, and the wire was pulled tight by the loom in the curtain rail not supported by a tape clip properly. We removed one of the tape clips and retaped to the loom and reinstalled in the hole to pull the loom up. The installation to the rear heater may use the same route. If you have mythomasbuiltbus.com you can go to the parts look up for your vin and check under heaters electrical installation to find connectors and routing schematics to help you.
Go to Top of Page

baptistbusman1

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2015 :  08:56:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check the connectors on both the heater motors and see if the grounds have burned off. I know there are a lot of opinions on this subject, but I find this a lot with drivers running the things on high the entire trip. That is a tremendous load for 2 or 3 hours. In reality, running them on high doesn't make it any more warmer. But try explaining that to someone who doesn't care.

I was formally Baptistbusman. However, I lost my password, and had not updated my email address.

Here is a link to my old posts. http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/forum/search.asp?mode=DoIt&MEMBER_ID=1846
Go to Top of Page

buster133
Top Member

USA
512 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2015 :  10:05:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I’d say either a pinched wire hidden behind a window frame (Thomas runs wires down between the window and post in any spot, not just e-windows) or a section of wire harness that has sagged down and possibly rubbing on the track above the windows. I had a 2015 C2 in the shop yesterday with temperamental door side turn signals. Long story short, it turned out to be a wire pinched by the last 10+ window. I wouldn’t have even seen it if I hadn’t removed the window.

I’ve also had to replace several ground pins and melted plugs on the rear heaters, but that issue (for now) seems to be only popping up on my 2011 &2012 C2’s

[URL=http://s7.photobucket.com/user/buster133/media/6f2e0703-1970-4ac9-bb1f-b6b9d7c12297_zps1741e113.jpg.html][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

Jasoncrain81

13 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2015 :  4:52:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jasoncrain81's Homepage  Reply with Quote
someone also told me start by replacing the heaters. maybe they are pulling to much amps and blowing it but how do I get it out? do I have to take the seat out or does it drop down with the fan? when I worked on it before I took the 4 small screws/bolts out and dropped down the fan but it wouldn't come out. is there a trick to that or do I have to take the seat out? thanks
Go to Top of Page

baptistbusman1

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2015 :  4:11:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, easiest way is to pull the seat up. I'd at least bench test the motors before I replaced them though. And like I said, see if the grounds have burned off the plugs.

I was formally Baptistbusman. However, I lost my password, and had not updated my email address.

Here is a link to my old posts. http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/forum/search.asp?mode=DoIt&MEMBER_ID=1846
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
469 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2015 :  4:21:45 PM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Just take the seat bottom off and then remove two screws on either end of the heater assembly and lift up and prop, if it has two fan both will have to come out together. You will see why when you get them out from under the frame. Unplug the connectors and see if the fuse still blows.
Go to Top of Page

Jasoncrain81

13 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2015 :  5:15:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jasoncrain81's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I replaced the heater motors a couple weeks ago and everything is working as normal so one of them must have been pulling to much power causing the fuse to blow I guess. Now I have another bus, this time the front heaters that aren't working. I haven't gotten around to checking it yet but I'm guessing the fuse is blown.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000