DT 466 e injector removal ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2015 :  10:56:48 AM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I am working on a 2004 DT466E and am getting a code that says the injector is shorting to ground . I want to remove the injector and switch it to see if the problem follows. Do I have to drain the fuel and oil in the manifold over the injectors before removal .I tried to remove the plug at the rear of the manifold with no luck .I read somewhere that if I don't get rid of the pressure I could do some serious damage . Thanks

57fan

United States
148 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2015 :  5:11:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If this is a EGR motor it pretty simple. Just remove the HP oil rail (12 bolts) and 1 torx drive bolt on the injector and it should lift out. No worries about pressure in the manifold. It will be gone by the time the manifold is lifted off. But why would you go thru the process to move or replace just one injector? If you are going to pull off the HP oil rail you might as well change them all. You will have to reseal the HP oil rail prior to re installing it (about $70.00 for the seal kit). We see the code for injectors shorting to ground. does not always mean its bad. unless it is missing or fails an injector BUZZ test. It cost around $2000.00 to replace all injectors and reseal the rail. Good luck with it.

Lead, Follow or get out of the way! Thomas Paine
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2015 :  07:11:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ditto 57fan

if just one injector is found to be the fault (and not say, the injector harness rubbing inside) and you replace just one injector, it wont be long before another one goes out. unless the motor has low miles on it youre better off replacing all of them.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2015 :  08:49:18 AM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well what happened is I heard a cylinder not working . I used that KOEO test for the injectors .No 6 was turned off and idle stayed the same . I don't think it's a compression issue since I have 456 code
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2015 :  08:51:52 AM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It is an egr engine and engine has over a 100,000 miles
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2015 :  3:14:50 PM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This afternoon I switched the number 5 with number 6 injector .Tried to start bus and it showed 6 was good and 5 went to ground . I do have a question .What parts are needed to reinstall the oil rail ?
Go to Top of Page

57fan

United States
148 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2015 :  10:20:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You need a HP oil rail seal kit. they run about $70.00 give or take from RWC. Still if your going to replace the injector, change them all. Do not rule out the wiring all the way from the IDM to the injector. Wires do go bad..

Lead, Follow or get out of the way! Thomas Paine
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2015 :  1:10:08 PM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I got the seal kit and my codes went away and bus runs smoother . Thanks
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000