Can this be disconnected ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
802 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2015 :  07:19:06 AM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
We recently received a new IC bus . It has the child check system . The one that if you don't go back and reset it turns on lights and horns . Well Washington doesn't require it and doing pretrips and posttrips is a pain to have to go back and reset it every time . Can this be disconnected . I want to be able to reconnect if it does ever become a requirement.

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2015 :  07:42:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe you can if you have Diamond Logic Builder, if you don't then you have to return to dealer and have it deactivated. It's a function of the body control module, so not as simple as pulling a fuse or wire.
Go to Top of Page

bfaulkner

168 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2015 :  08:55:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit bfaulkner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We use Servicemaxx to disable it. in the programming tab scroll until you find post trip and uncheck it then save to engine. we disable our 2013 every year for a rodeo course.
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2015 :  07:35:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to chime in on this.

This is a safety feature to help drivers ensure they check for children left on the school bus, but I'm sure you know that. In my 11 years in the bus business I have seen 4 drivers fired for leaving kids on the bus and none of them had the reminder system. One 5 year old boy was walking down a county road about noon on a day the temperature was in the 20's, ( that's cold for south Georgia) because he was cold. The bus was at the drivers house miles from the main road.

I read on stnoline about children being left on school buses almost daily.

So what the driver has to get up and disable it after post and pre trips. It sounds like they don't want to be bothered with it when they are done for the day either. To me this is just pure laziness. Is the extra 5 seconds it takes to disarm that important? How would you feel if you disabled it and a child was left on that particular bus? The child reminder system is there to make the drivers do their job on checking the bus because it has been proven they many don't do it.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2015 :  08:28:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://news.yahoo.com/special-needs-student-found-dead-212100677.html

http://newjersey.news12.com/news/company-fires-lakewood-school-bus-driver-fired-after-2-children-were-left-on-the-bus-1.10963497

http://www.wtvq.com/2015/10/07/pd-child-left-alone-on-somerset-school-bus/

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
802 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2015 :  09:52:13 AM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ron
I reealize and appreciate what you are saying and I totally agree . The problem drivers have is if pull to the side of the road and shut bus off to have a chat .They have to reset alarm every time.And then again during pretrip and postrip.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2015 :  11:08:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IC's system is not real-world friendly. That said, I understand there is a "snooze button" option now available.

I chose BusScan to outfit my fleet because the engine can be turned off and the key can be turned to accessory during loading/unloading at schools and for those roadside chats we all love.
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2015 :  11:35:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I see both sides of the argument, but have to say that if they have time to pull off the side of the road for a chat, they have time to walk to the back to disable the alarm. It may seem insensitive or whatever you'd like to call it, but it is there for a reason. On ours that have it, when they get to their next school and have layover and time to chat, they just have to deal with it. That being said, now that we're off the point of the main topic here, I believe DLB or ServiceMaxx will have to assist you in this.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2015 :  11:51:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think your idea of a chat is different than mine (probably because the route I've been covering for a year now is full of disrespectful little...) If a driver is parking to waste time gossiping, I don't feel for them...if they are parking to try to restore some sort of order, then I hate to see the stupid alarm standing in their way.
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2015 :  12:45:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That is definitely more understandable. In this case, a snooze option would be ideal
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2015 :  1:02:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
snooze option

ideal sure. until come monday several buses dont start cuz theyve been beeping all weekend. or do they just turn off after a time? im in california and they arent required here. sounds like a good failsafe to ensure drivers are making sure no kiddos are left on the bus.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
802 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2015 :  10:27:38 PM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The chat I am referring to is the students that are misbehaving .That's where the driver doesn't want to leave his or her seat to go back
Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2015 :  7:54:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been asked before to see about having the alarms disabled. What I say is this.. say you disable it, and a child does get left on the bus. How does one go about explaining to the media, parents, school system, etc. that they chose to disable the equipped device that could have prevented the incident?
Go to Top of Page

eshover

146 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2015 :  05:49:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit eshover's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm trying to figure out why you would have to reset the child check just shutting off the bus to have a student discussion. On our BB the alarm will not sound until you open the entrance door. Am I missing something here?
ED
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2015 :  07:55:30 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eshover

I'm trying to figure out why you would have to reset the child check just shutting off the bus to have a student discussion. On our BB the alarm will not sound until you open the entrance door. Am I missing something here?
ED

That is part of the real world friendly quoted above... As soon as you hit the off position, child left behind is armed and counting down to horns blowing with an IC (or at least mine)... you have a short time 1 and half to 2 mins to reset.. so if you pull over and shut bus off for any reason you must reset system...
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2015 :  08:34:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is it the one where you have to open the door or press the button? If it's the one that you have to press the button and you're pulling over because of student issues, you could have a kid press the reset button. Maybe not the most ideal thing to do, but it's a thought.
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
802 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2015 :  09:17:44 AM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The driver of the bus has made it a practice any time they turn the engine off . She goes back and hits the reset . This way the alarm won't go off . I also told all drivers that when using a bus with a child check . Turn bus off turn key to acc. and reset button in back . Then shut things down and put windows up .
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2015 :  05:29:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe its just me but I can't think of an instance where I would want to turn key off to have a "chat" with students. I want emergency exit buzzers that will function, video camera recording and zero risk of a no engine restart. Example; if driver shuts engine down to chat, students can lift all the side window latches and lock the back door, driver then goes to start bus and has buzzer going off from up to seven sorces and an engine that won't crank.
Also on our ICs if pretrip is done with the light check feature the "child check system" is not activated.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2015 :  05:41:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kodie, you don't explain it, you get fired and a lawsuit will commence.
On the disable, I think it's a terrible idea. If I get an IC I have it disabled and put my own in. We use "Homebound", it's a user friendly set up. The box will beep when you shut off the engine but the horn won't blow until you open the door. In Illinois the child check system isn't required but you have to have the dome lights hooked up to he system if you have one. That is to say that the dome lights come on when you turn the key to off. Another thing I dislike about IC is that you have to turn the key to accessory to reset the system.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
802 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2015 :  07:18:52 AM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That's true for the light check . The only problem is it doesn't check the 8 ways to make sure they function in the sequence as designed . Also it's hard to talk over heaters running and some of the engines have a limit on how long they run before shutting down .
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2015 :  09:08:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by valleybusman

That's true for the light check . The only problem is it doesn't check the 8 ways to make sure they function in the sequence as designed . Also it's hard to talk over heaters running and some of the engines have a limit on how long they run before shutting down .

So far I have never had the 8 ways pass the test with the light check but fail to function in proper sequence at an actual stop.
On ours you can cut all the heaters and bus radio at once by using the orange "noise suppression" switch, also handy at RR crossings.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2015 :  11:49:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fastback

Maybe its just me but I can't think of an instance where I would want to turn key off to have a "chat" with students. I want emergency exit buzzers that will function, video camera recording...

Precisely why I program all my cameras to run for 20 minutes after engine shut down. That was it's always on video, even if the driver didn't want it to be. Exit alarms are wired hot here, so no worries there!
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2015 :  05:23:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Criminal charges for a child left on a bus for the drive and aid. Two adults on a bus and still a child is left behind. Did the bus have a child reminder system? The article doesn't say, however cases like this are why the CRS's are on the bus.

http://www.wptv.com/news/region-c-palm-beach-county/driver-aide-arrested-after-child-left-on-palm-beach-county-school-bus

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

Troy87

United States
52 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2015 :  05:52:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my 30 yrs. in this business we have had 2 children left behind, (pre-crs), both cases the drivers were fired. No debate. These systems have a very important purpose, to protect the kids (and drivers). We, as school transportation companies, have a bigger responsibility than 'driver convienience'. Valleybusman, you may want to check state laws were you are. Here in Illinois, if a bus has 'optional equipment, (i.e.: crs, 2nd stop arm).... It HAS to work even if it is not required by state law. Inspectors tell me, "if it is on the bus, it must work".
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
802 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2015 :  2:37:44 PM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
We made the descision to keep it on and live with it I agree it's important
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2015 :  09:24:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A wise decision for all concerned Valleybusman.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000