04 Freightliner Cat c7 just shut off
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mark23290

United States
96 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2015 :  06:55:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 04 Freigtliner Cat c7 was running fine then just stopped. Cranks over will not fire. Checked the fuses at the battery and the relay in the side panel.
On the dash with key in on position the odometer screen reads No eng.

Got fuel last night but have put on 40 miles since and the bus was running fine till it just died in the middle of the road.
I'm a private contractor and we are short good mechanics around here, the one place I called said he had to tow a c7 to cat for diagnosis. Others say they don't have software and others just want to replace any part..

Any help is greatly appreciated or if you can steer me in directions to look?

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
469 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2015 :  08:36:21 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The fuses are in the block behind the dash above the front rt. heater box. wiring goes through the bulkhead to the left to the ECM check for rubbed through wires. could possibly have lost the communications J1939 connection. very hard to check out without software. check the obvious oil level, fuel level, coolant level, try to pump the primer to see if fuel is primed.
Go to Top of Page

Mark23290

United States
96 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2015 :  08:42:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you tell me where the primer is? The ecm is that in the dash? Do you know what fuse is the ecm in that panel? It's not marked. I do notice the check engine light doesn't come on when I turn the key on? Thank you so much for the input.
Go to Top of Page

Mark23290

United States
96 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2015 :  08:58:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you tell me where the primer is? The ecm is that in the dash? Do you know what fuse is the ecm in that panel? It's not marked. I do notice the check engine light doesn't come on when I turn the key on? Thank you so much for the input.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2015 :  09:00:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ECM is mounted on the side of the engine. Primer (if equipped) will be right on top of the fuel filter on the side of the engine on that chassis. Unscrew and pump. If there's a blank plate with two bolts in it, then it's an option you didn't get :(
Go to Top of Page

Mark23290

United States
96 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2015 :  10:12:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the dash I found these readings, fault 1, fail 07 , s1d254, no eng. this is on the odometer readout. Anyone know what it's trying to tell me?
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
469 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2015 :  11:41:38 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I don't know if you can see it but the circuit board in the front of the dash is split in two parts board one is on the left and board two is on the right, the fuses are in two rows top row is 1,3,5,7,9 and bottom row is 2,4,6,8,10 fuel solenoid fuse is #2 in first board.
Go to Top of Page

Mark23290

United States
96 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2015 :  1:20:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tigger2

I don't know if you can see it but the circuit board in the front of the dash is split in two parts board one is on the left and board two is on the right, the fuses are in two rows top row is 1,3,5,7,9 and bottom row is 2,4,6,8,10 fuel solenoid fuse is #2 in first board.

Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2015 :  9:06:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A quick Google search turned up some good info. Unfortunately the info I could find seems to point to an ABS problem with the 254 code. I'll take a look at my CAT book tomorrow and see if I can turn up anything else. Not having software can make this really tricky to diagnose. Here's a link to what I found.http://www.autobusthomas.com/pdf/MASTER_Fault_Codes_Combined_2013_2013.01.23.pdf
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
469 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2015 :  04:02:46 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The Cat book stops at code 253 chassis manufacturer parameter not programed. I think there is no power to the ECM and no communications to the chassis.
Go to Top of Page

Mark23290

United States
96 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2015 :  1:42:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cat dealer says it's the ecm, said it probably shorted out when the inline heater relay went bad. He said 95% of them short out after this.... At a tune of 3800 bucks :(...
Does this sound right?
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2015 :  4:03:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
$3800 does not sound right, unless CAT is doing the ECM for you. We did an ECM 6 months ago for $1700ish
Go to Top of Page

Mark23290

United States
96 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2015 :  08:57:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just an update, The Cat dealer replaced the ECM and a relay which is on the drivers side of the engine towards the firewall which they said is a relay for the intake heater. They said this fried so it caused the ecm to short. My question is how can this be prevented in the future? If the relay is to go bad again.
After about 4k and week in the shop it is back, seems to not be as peppy at take off but maybe its me.

Thanks again for all the advise though, this forum sure does rock. Exp. when your not a mechanic.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000