School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 MaxxForce7 lifter roller ruined the cam!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2015 :  12:38:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Engine sounded like a giant air compressor LOL...you could hear the compression coming through the air filter. The same thing happened to one of our VT365 2 years ago, we replaced that engine. We'll be repairing this one.[URL=http://s253.photobucket.com/user/tootsie1980/media/48cam.jpg.html][/URL]

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2015 :  1:19:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What year/miles is that one?

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2015 :  1:40:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
2010 47000mi
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2015 :  2:24:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just curious if you found out anything from Cummins dealer about possible repowers of Maxx 7 units?

Go to Top of Page

Cal Mc
Advanced Member

303 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2015 :  10:03:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cal Mc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We just had a Maxxforce DT do something similar. Broke a dogbone, took out the cam and spun a cam bearing. Just made warranty...a new long block on order.
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2015 :  04:14:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@Fastback I pitched the idea to the boss and he shot it down before I did any research on re powering it with a Cummins.

@Cal Mc we had a DT do the same, the fix for it was to double up on the dogbones. I had a thread on here showing what happened but I can't find it anymore to post the link.
Go to Top of Page

Fldawg

15 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2015 :  06:46:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fldawg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
just done one on a 2008 maxx force dog bone broke #2 cyl. lifter jumped sideways did'nt get any cam bearings but reaked havoc on my oil pump. enjoy the job. big time pain in the butt. You did'nt pull the engineto do that did you?
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2015 :  12:56:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I did pull the engine. See it suspended in the background? The cam has to come out from the rear, the flywheel housing has to come off to get the cam out. So while we have it out we'll replace every seal on it. Yeah it is a big PAIN!!
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2015 :  2:14:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im super jealous. not about the job you have to do but the shop you get to do it in. wish i had a cool chain hoist, smooth painted floors and more than one bay.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2015 :  04:13:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Our shop is pretty state of the art, we just moved in a little over 2 years ago. It's a whole brand new facility with 9 bays and 2 giant pits. I just wish we had a tech for each bay, keep dreaming my boss keeps telling me.LOL
Go to Top of Page

Fldawg

15 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2015 :  04:15:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fldawg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by krmvcs

im super jealous. not about the job you have to do but the shop you get to do it in. wish i had a cool chain hoist, smooth painted floors and more than one bay.

That's the first for hearing the cam has to come out the back, all the ones i've done i pulled the cam out the front, left the engine in the bus , but mine was a 2008 maxx force , i might be showing my ignornce, but with international they change things for the worst
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2015 :  05:19:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
MaxxForce7 is all gear driven from the rear. See pic of the rear of the engine.[URL=http://s253.photobucket.com/user/tootsie1980/media/48rearofengine.jpg.html][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

Fldawg

15 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2015 :  06:15:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fldawg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoeHEB1

MaxxForce7 is all gear driven from the rear. See pic of the rear of the engine.[URL=http://s253.photobucket.com/user/tootsie1980/media/48rearofengine.jpg.html][/URL]

We don't have any of those, learn something new everyday we went straight to the twin turbo engine and then to the new cummins
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2015 :  06:36:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lucky you!!!LOL you don't want these hunk of junk, they're nothing but trouble just like it's brother VT365. We to have the twin turbo DT's and just got 9 new BB with Cummins.
Go to Top of Page

Fldawg

15 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2015 :  06:43:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fldawg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

We don't have any of those, learn something new everyday we went straight to the twin turbo engine and then to the new cummins
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2015 :  05:50:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Update: As expected front cover and oil pump ruined.[URL=http://s253.photobucket.com/user/tootsie1980/media/481.jpg.html][/URL][URL=http://s253.photobucket.com/user/tootsie1980/media/482.jpg.html][/URL][URL=http://s253.photobucket.com/user/tootsie1980/media/483.jpg.html][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2015 :  04:57:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fldawg

quote:
Originally posted by krmvcs

That's the first for hearing the cam has to come out the back, all the ones i've done i pulled the cam out the front, left the engine in the bus , but mine was a 2008 maxx force , i might be showing my ignornce, but with international they change things for the worst

For the record, the cam has to come out the back on Cummins ISBs also. Only exceptions are the ones installed in Dodge pickups that have a front gear train.

Go to Top of Page

mastertech
Advanced Member

274 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2015 :  4:37:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit mastertech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kind of funny they didnt have a easily changed, low cost wear plate on the front cover when the oil pump gets lunched. Has anyone had the gouges welded back up and remachined?
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2015 :  04:11:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@mastertech the front cover by itself is over $700 OUCH!!! Not sure what it would cost to repair the oil pump but a new one is $270
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2015 :  04:18:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Curious as to the final price tag on this repair?

Go to Top of Page

Fldawg

15 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2015 :  04:23:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fldawg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
on my 2008 maxx force, parts alone was about $4000 + my labour , had to change oil pump and it was almost $800, so i can only imagine what this repair cost.
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2015 :  05:25:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So far it's just over 5K including the tools we had to buy to install the front main seal. We already had the rear seal tool. Tools ain't cheap either.
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2015 :  03:51:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone add the extra dogbone prior to a failure? Is it so widespread that we should retrofit?
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2015 :  09:05:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would take my chances, you may never have a problem with them. So far I've had one DT get ruined out of 20.
Go to Top of Page

Fldawg

15 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2015 :  10:10:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fldawg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by second.flood

Anyone add the extra dogbone prior to a failure? Is it so widespread that we should retrofit?

That is internationals answer to the probelm, i've done 3 cams in the last 2 years and i double up the dogbones everytime
Go to Top of Page

BJ Henderson
Advanced Member

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2015 :  06:13:44 AM  Show Profile  Send BJ Henderson an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This is what happens when you are using a hydraulic systems that is constantly being contaminated with unburned carbon from the engine.

CMTT,CMAT,CMBT
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2015 :  08:12:25 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BJ Henderson

This is what happens when you are using a hydraulic systems that is constantly being contaminated with unburned carbon from the engine.

Agree,

The inlines are not immune from cam issues either, lost 3 cams in 2008 and 09 buses..... Just found out one of my Maxxforce DT's with twin turbos needs cam and lifters replaced, luckily it is under warranty barely! 146,000 miles and 1 month before 5 years... Cummins is the way to go IMO... Along with the 10 year unlimited milage service contract from Cummins.....
Go to Top of Page

Cal Mc
Advanced Member

303 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2015 :  9:24:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cal Mc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just saw the bill going to warranty to replace our MaxxForce DT long block....$23,000
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2015 :  04:07:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We weren't so lucky when our DT gave up the ghost.
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2015 :  09:56:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Update: total cost $6200. New long block $12000.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2015 :  1:27:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Update: total cost $6200. New long block $12000.

Can I assume those are your costs and do not include labor?

Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2015 :  1:44:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You are correct, our district does not factor in any labor rate in any repairs we do. They figure that the labor (salary) is already paid for the whole school year. If it takes you 2 hours to replace a headlight, the district sees it as $4.99 (cost of headlight) repair. The 2 hours of labor are already paid when the budget was set for the school year. Weird huh??? I think so to.
Go to Top of Page

JRob
Advanced Member

207 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2015 :  3:16:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit JRob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It would still be worthwhile to assign a labor value to all repairs whether routine or non-routine maintenance. You could then really dial in the total cost of ownership by unit in your fleet. Every hour of labor completing repairs that are non-routine or not preventative maintenance takes away from the time you could be spending doing PM work. Also, not all maintenance items are created equal. High labor repairs have an opportunity cost of time lost in the shop. Somebody should want to know that.
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2015 :  04:04:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JRob

It would still be worthwhile to assign a labor value to all repairs whether routine or non-routine maintenance. You could then really dial in the total cost of ownership by unit in your fleet. Every hour of labor completing repairs that are non-routine or not preventative maintenance takes away from the time you could be spending doing PM work. Also, not all maintenance items are created equal. High labor repairs have an opportunity cost of time lost in the shop. Somebody should want to know that.

Agree..
Go to Top of Page

sambrutay
Advanced Member

United States
271 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2015 :  03:21:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cost for Cummins repower is a little over 26K. that's turn key.

Bruce
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2015 :  07:09:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sambrutay

cost for Cummins repower is a little over 26K. that's turn key.

Yeah, and that gives you a 5 year 100k warranty, a bus that has resale value and you have confidence in. Not to mention, Cummins also claims a 17% fuel economy increase.

Edited by - Fastback on 11/25/2015 07:10:29 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000