IC bus ceiling screws
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2015 :  05:25:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are any of my fellow techs having issues with IC buses with the ceiling screws falling out or coming loose?

We have this problem with all of them from model year 2006 through 2014. We have all CE200's here but in the last school system I worked at we had the same issue with CE 300's.

Of course our dealer is no help on this. My question is does this compromise the roll over protection of the bus?

exmod110

150 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2015 :  05:50:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit exmod110's Homepage  Reply with Quote
every IC bus we have in that age group has the same concern. as they are falling out we have been replacing them with rivets and never having that problem again.
As for roll over protection... no idea.
Go to Top of Page

scoutmom2

17 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2015 :  6:51:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know my 2008 IC CE shed screws from the roof on a regular basis. I just grab the screwdriver and put them back in. I think the ones from the roof supports are more important than the ones from the roof panel.

We have 80 IC CE 300's that we got last summer shed screws from the roof on a regular basis. The older ones we have (99-2006) rarely do it.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2015 :  04:45:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Riveted ceiling is an available option, our IC dealer no longer orders buses with screws in the ceiling.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2015 :  10:14:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just got a call back from our dealer, Rush Trucks and the IC rep for this area says to replace them with rivets and that IC is away of the problem and are working on a solution.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2015 :  11:14:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Blast from the past;
http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23433

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

raytobe
Advanced Member

USA
293 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2015 :  7:02:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit raytobe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We went to the IC plant in Tulsa OK for three days this past August and it was great. I highly recommend it. The speed at which they put those things together leads me to believe that that may be part of the problem with the screws falling out. I meant to mention it to the head guy but it slipped my mind.
Go to Top of Page

Cal Mc
Advanced Member

303 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2015 :  9:10:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cal Mc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We had the same problem with our 2010 and 2012 IC buses. We complained and were instructed to order the "riveted ceiling" option in the future. Our 2014 IC buses came with the ceilings riveted as ordered.
The 2010 and 2012 buses get the screws removed and replaced with Loctite applied to the screw.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2015 :  06:39:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cal Mc

We had the same problem with our 2010 and 2012 IC buses. We complained and were instructed to order the "riveted ceiling" option in the future. Our 2014 IC buses came with the ceilings riveted as ordered.
The 2010 and 2012 buses get the screws removed and replaced with Loctite applied to the screw.

I was wondering if anyone had thought about locktite. My newest IC is a 2010! Thank the Lord!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2015 :  07:47:52 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

quote:
Originally posted by Cal Mc

I was wondering if anyone had thought about locktite. My newest IC is a 2010! Thank the Lord!

Must be my roads were to rough around here could never get Loctite to hold ceiling screws in place here for very long... no surface to hold to in sheet metal... had to have rivets installed to cure problem... B##ched and complained enough IC(or dealer?) did them in warranty
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000