Mercedes Dies on Rough Roads and Turns?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2015 :  07:53:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have a 2006 C2 with a Mercedes six, yesterday it cut out and tach went to zero twice then recovered after making a turn on a rough gravel road. When bus turned into the school driveway it died again and coasted to a stop and would not restart. Now today it starts right up and idles for 30 minutes then drove in shop with no problem. Tachometer action makes me think electrical problem, any ideas where to look?

BJ Henderson
Advanced Member

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2015 :  1:32:01 PM  Show Profile  Send BJ Henderson an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It has main ground and power circuits under the starter to power the electronics. Right side of the engine. I would check those for damages.

CMTT,CMAT,CMBT
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2015 :  07:46:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Things look ok near the starter. I am able to pull a SID 248 FMI 2 code from the dash. Currently the engine will not start and starter may crank engine but sometimes stops or may not crank at all.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

BJ Henderson
Advanced Member

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2015 :  10:49:58 AM  Show Profile  Send BJ Henderson an AOL message  Reply with Quote
If you have a laptop to do anything with, you might find out what is not communicating with what, that looks to be a multiplex problem if I'm looking at the right chart. Something must be going offline, engine, transmission or dash.

CMTT,CMAT,CMBT
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2015 :  11:41:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did clean up some nasty looking "green" connections under the hood. First at a solenoid on the firewall to the right of the steering column. Then at the fuseblock on the inner fender, I think Thomas calls this a "PDM". I removed the nuts holding the large cables to the terminals on this PDM and cleaned those connections, one of the studs became loose during the process but seemed to tighten up okay. The fuses I checked seemed to have power, but a new PDM is on order.

Go to Top of Page

BJ Henderson
Advanced Member

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2015 :  2:41:07 PM  Show Profile  Send BJ Henderson an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ok, check all the small fuses, I've seen the fuses break internally and still check good with a test light. Had the transmission come and go on one like that. That was a first for me.

CMTT,CMAT,CMBT
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2015 :  2:29:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update;
Replaced the underhood PDM with new, bus starts. Noticed the "green" was creeping out on a few of the smaller terminals on old PDM also. Time will tell if the original complaint of occasional hiccups has also gone away.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000