Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Lift Hydraulic Fluid
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bfaulkner

168 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2015 :  1:22:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit bfaulkner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Installing a new Braun pump assembly on a wheel chair lift tomorrow and am not sure of what fluid to use. It tells me to use Braun fluid but can I use standard ATF or a 0W-30 Oil for better winter operations?

willism
Advanced Member

United States
250 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2015 :  04:43:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit willism's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would think it would need to be a hydraulic fluid but I could be wrong ive got a local place i get my lift fluid from so never ran into a issue.
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2015 :  04:58:00 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't recomend using 0w-30 if your thinking motor oil?,don't think you will get proper pump/system protection using it, Hydraulic oils have different additive pakages than motor oils.... I have used a synthetic ATF in a pinch, but normally if I have to change or add oil I stick with the Braun 32840-qt or equivilent from my oil supplier which they get me the Exxon/Mobil Univis HVI 26... If your wanting thinner oil for winter ops ...I belive the Exxon is availible in say 22,20,13 for lighter viscosity... still expensive but worth it, if it doesn't cause problems or void warranties

I would recomend talking with your oil supplier if you hav'nt already...I bet they can set you up...

Edited by - slippert on 09/18/2015 05:06:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
469 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2015 :  05:31:41 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The Braun lift fluid translates to Aviation hydraulic fluid, we get ours from our local Phillips 66 distributor. DO NOT use trans ATF per Braun it is to thick.
Go to Top of Page

BJ Henderson
Advanced Member

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2015 :  09:25:39 AM  Show Profile  Send BJ Henderson an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ricon uses aviation hydraulic fluid Texaco 01554, I would think if the first stop was a special needs student in Canada, the low temps would be ok.

CMTT,CMAT,CMBT
Go to Top of Page

bfaulkner

168 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2015 :  1:19:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit bfaulkner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I ordered the Exxon univis HVI 13. Thank you for your help.
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2015 :  08:31:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been using Dextron III for years in our lifts. When we needed to major work we flushed out the expensive aircraft fluid and replaced it with Dextron III and have not had any issues. Being in Southeast Georgia, cold weather operations is not an issue either. YMMV.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2018 :  4:05:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spam Alert
Go to Top of Page

Troy87

United States
52 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2018 :  6:22:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Braun 32840-qt is the part # for the fluid that braun suggests......warning .... it's about $50 a quart. If you still have a warranty on the lift, use their fluid, otherwise find something equivalent aftermarket to save money.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2018 :  05:32:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mechan1c

Spam Alert

Got him!!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2018 :  02:55:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It wasn't that Stephenedup guy again was it?
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2018 :  05:12:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

It wasn't that Stephenedup guy again was it?

No, I don't know what he was selling. Didn't take the time to figure that part out. lol

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Jon the Mekanik

46 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2018 :  05:25:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jon the Mekanik's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I used plow hyd oil it works well when its cold out side the dealer told me they never ran in to a problem using that.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2018 :  06:11:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, Stephenedup was the username. I just searched for him to see if the post count had gone up, and the name appears to be deleted now.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2018 :  07:19:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

No, Stephenedup was the username. I just searched for him to see if the post count had gone up, and the name appears to be deleted now.

No, I couldn't find this name either. We must be getting help from HQ. lol

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2018 :  4:51:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Braun equivalent fluid we use is Chevron Rando HDZ ISO 32. From the Braun manual: "Hydraulic Fluid -
When adding or changing hydraulic fluid, use 32840-QT (Exxon® Univis HVI26) hydraulic fluid (do not mix with Dexron III or or other hydraulic fluids).

For Ricon lifts (and Maxon tailgates, incidentally) we use Aeroshell 4.

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000