New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2015 :  12:25:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm working on my 1980 IHC/Superior today because the speedometer quit on me. I got a new speedo cable kit from International and set about to install it when I ran into something wrong with that drive gear that threads into the transmission tail housing. I haven't done this job in about 10 years, so I'm hoping somebody can help me remember some things.

DT466/MT643

https://www.flickr.com/photos/27265743@N03/albums/72157657515512798 check out the pics

The drive gear unit won't unscrew from the cable, so something is stripped or stuck or whatever. I'm calling it junk at this point. I seem to remember the gear setup being sold separately from the shaft that goes into the tranny.

Does anybody remember if that pin in the pics is supposed to be removable? There's no positive connection to the output from the tranny, I guess that could be to allow slippage if the cable binds up?

Lastly, didn't the speedo offer the settings for tire size and gear ratio or was that the job of this little drive gear assembly?

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2015 :  04:24:32 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yes the drive should unscrew from the ratio adapter but the top barrel is spinning in the housing you might try taking the three screws out of the adapter and holding the top part with pliers. the gear sets in the adapter set the cable speed for the speedo. The pin in question is removable so the drive in the end of the driven gear will hook up to the drive on the adapter. Try to get the rest of the pin out of the end of the shaft. You may have to get another adapter to finish the job.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2015 :  07:00:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply. This one is riveted together unlike the ones I remember. I wasted enough time fighting the thing that I decided to just order a new one and be done with it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000