MaxxForce 7, EGDP Sensor code
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2015 :  05:13:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2007 Emission, MaxxForce 7, has an active fault code, "EGDP signal out of range low". Anyone seen this? If so, what was the cause in your bus?

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2015 :  06:19:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First paragraph, page 26 may lead you in the right direction.

file:///C:/Users/rfarnsworth/Downloads/15129.pdf

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2015 :  06:21:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If that link doesn't work, it is a sensor that monitors the restriction across the DPF, thus alerting the ECM when too much soot is in the DPF.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2015 :  07:46:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am aware of what it senses. My question is that if it codes "out of range low" is it more likely to be a wiring/sensor problem or a DPF problem?

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2015 :  08:45:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My best guess would be a sensor or wiring issue, connector. I have not experienced that message or code as of yet.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2015 :  04:48:24 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Experience here has been lots of sensor issues, once in awhile wiring pulls out of plug for sensor,,this is on the I6 engines I have, but would be willing to bet 7 has same sensor on DPF.

With sensor mounted on top of DPF....Every spring and fall when we get lots of water and puddles seem have lots of those EGPD codes...then a few trickle in thru out year... new sensor so far cured problems.

IH makes a cover/shield #2612020C1(although not much of one IMO)that is suppose to help keep sensor protected from elements... cost about 9 bucks for shield

Edited by - slippert on 07/29/2015 05:59:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

exmod110

150 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2015 :  07:40:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit exmod110's Homepage  Reply with Quote
we have relocated most of those sensors by screwing it to the underside of the body and extending the hoses, has cured 99% of them getting wet or hit by rocks and flagging codes. you have to flip the sensor in the bracket so the ports face the right way though.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2015 :  06:35:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok thanks, My next question is when you have this fault code because of a sensor/wiring problem is it accompanied by a noticeable reduction in vehicle power/acceleration? We can still get to 65 mph but it takes noticeably longer. Just wondering if the sensor/wiring is causing the slow acceleration or is the sensor doing its job and telling us the DPF is the problem?

Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2015 :  10:53:25 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have had drivers complain of a noticable difference when EGPD codes were active, and new sensor took care of issues...... of course not knowing use, miles or background on your bus... suppose it could be DPF problem if conditions are right... Do you have servicemaxx program to do an onboard cleaniness test?.. if so that should do a forced regen and might give you more info..

On a separate note...I did have one recently that #1 exhaust temp sender failed..and derated power of engine, had them fail before with no issues except eng light on....so strange things seem to happen with this wonderful technology

According to my IH dealer those sensors/wiring to them are a problem area,so my guess would be sensor... but learned long ago to never assume,lol

Those sensors are around $135, not sure if you have a sister bus? could try to swap one to the other and see if problem follows

Edited by - slippert on 07/30/2015 10:59:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2015 :  09:42:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update; Sensor replaced, problem solved.

Go to Top of Page

Bus Tech1

76 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2015 :  6:04:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have seen this many times. If you continue driving too long it sometimes wants to regenerate and never cures the problem. I replace the sensor and while hoses are disconnected i run mechanics wire down the tubes and blow shop air through them (sometimes there is enough soot to slightly plug them).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000