Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 2010 CE air pressure fluctuation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

exmod110

150 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2015 :  05:52:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit exmod110's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a bit of a head scratcher on my hands.
2010 CE 300 with the DT engine 170000 km, none air brake unit. It's equipt with air susp, air fan, air seat, ad9 air drier, air tank auto drain valve and a tueflow 500 compressor. Complaint is that air pressure fluctuates from 30-180 psi at times and engine fan cuts in below 90psi as it should.. I have personally verified a 70-120psi fluctuation sitting stationary engine has to be above 1900-2000 rpm to show up. Will not present at idle or below 1800 rpm. air press will act drop from 120 to 80 with increased rpm and at times have difficulty building pressure to 120 again, return to idle and will build at normal rate. the drop can be fairly quick taking as little as 9 seconds. but not all the time.
So far I have ruled out by either swapping out with new parts, servicing component or isolating from system: susp air ride valve, air press sender unit, governor, air tank auto drain valve, serviced the compressor head with overhaul kit,the valve springs were slightly coked up no other noticeable concerns with the head and cyls looked to be in great shape.. (unloader valves intake and exhaust valves springs etc)after the cyl head was serviced the concern was not noted by the driver for aprox 2 weeks but hen returned. checked for leaks on the main outlet airline from comp to drier and drier to tank, checked for intake and discharge line restrictions, serviced air drier isolated engine fan from air system and can still replicate the concern.. the concern is directly related to engine RPM.. short of swapping out the compressor what am I missing here?? possible compressor gear nut loose or gear spinning on its shaft under load? Oil samples have not shown any metal contamination, and no noticeable abnormal noises from the compressor or engine..

anyone have any insight?

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2015 :  05:34:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The gear or pulley slipping on the compressor sound viable. How about the one way check valve at the dryer?

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

exmod110

150 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2015 :  07:49:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit exmod110's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if the check valve in the drier isn't seating it should piss air out the purge valve when the compressor is unloaded, I act just had another unit with that valve come unseated and caused a constant build-purge concern, pressure never dropped below 95psi. I checked the valve when I serviced the drier but worth double checking as it is simple thing.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000