Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Md3060 won't shift from N
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thepimentals

20 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2015 :  11:56:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thepimentals's Homepage  Reply with Quote
99 Thomas bus cat 3126 motor allison reman md3060 trans with push button selector

I wanted to start and move the bus a few weeks ago, I noticed for the first time ever the fast idle button wasn't working, no big deal, then when I went to shift to D, it wouldn't . I can hear the selector click but it stays in N. R won't shift either. So I shut it down and restarted, the fast idle worked and the bus shifted into D and R no problem.

This week I go to move it again and nothing again. But this time I've restarted the bus 13 times and it still won't shift out of N. Still no fast idle.

I do have codes d14522 and d24514. I've checked all the wiring and it all looks fine. Connections look clean too. I'm out of ideas.

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2015 :  1:08:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those are codes for openings in the shift solenoid circuits and will result in a range inhibit condition as you describe.

Diagnostic tree I remember is to check and clean the connector at the transmission and at the TCM. Then to check continuity in the harness. If passing, replace TCM.

TEST, TEST AND RETEST!!!! TCM is expensive!

I can probably save and email you the actual diagnostic data when I get back to the office on Friday.
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2015 :  2:45:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ive got the book. if you need the diagram just let me know.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

57fan

United States
148 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2015 :  8:07:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont have the code book in front of me but I do have a cheat card. The codes 45-22 and 45-14 are for solenoids "C" and "G" Circuits opened. Being it is a 99 era Transmission it is most likely a GEN II transmission. We have had 2 GEN III AND IV trans that have had broken trimmer springs in the valve body that caused a no shift condition similar to yours. Being its all electronic and not everyone has the tools to work on them, we verified all the wiring prior to sending it to a dealer for repairs. We were in for around $1500.00 each. Considering we have 40 plus 3000 Series Transmissions (GEN II, III and IV) they are very reliable.. This is the only issues (we have had with them and some have 200K miles on them. Do check all your wiring as stated by Thomasbus24. Good luck

Lead, Follow or get out of the way! Thomas Paine
Go to Top of Page

Thepimentals

20 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2015 :  7:04:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thepimentals's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yea, I'm not happy, those connections couldn't be any cleaner. Still not driving.
Go to Top of Page

Thepimentals

20 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2015 :  07:17:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thepimentals's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's just about impossible to follow the wiring, does someone have a diagram? Just so I can be sure I've checked all locations
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2015 :  07:20:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i could email the page to you.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

Thepimentals

20 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2015 :  1:13:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thepimentals's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by krmvcs

i could email the page to you.

Jarrodpimental@gmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Thepimentals

20 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2015 :  05:56:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thepimentals's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been thinking how the first day it happened to me I shut it down and restarted the bus and I could shift. This makes me think that it might actually be a bad solenoid. Or bad wiring I suppose but I really can't find any bad wires. Any thoughts?
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2015 :  07:17:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
aside from checking continuity of wiring outside the trans, and checking resistance of the solenoid inside the trans, i dont know what to tell you.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

Thepimentals

20 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2015 :  10:07:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thepimentals's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm just not excited to spend 700$ on towing it and another 1500$ on fixing it. I really hate that people have to be so ignorant and useless that someone invented the automatic transmission in the first place. I'm just upset.
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2015 :  11:33:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so you got the diagram i sent? and did it help any? ive got the book on it so if theres anything else you need......
and no one is excited about towing/repair bill. but sometimes theres nothing else you can do.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

Thepimentals

20 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2015 :  04:25:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thepimentals's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by krmvcs

so you got the diagram i sent? and did it help any? ive got the book on it so if theres anything else you need......
and no one is excited about towing/repair bill. but sometimes theres nothing else you can do.

i did get the diagram, it was very helpful. i know what I'm looking at and where they go. plus i spoke to a guy at the garage, he said a couple other buses had this problem and the G solenoid did need replacing. I'm currently trying to find someone to convince me to change it out myself instead of towing it. I've seen what it looks like on newer style allusions and it doesn't look that complicated. i just want to hear from someone who has worked on my tranny specifically and can say if i should.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000