Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 drivers window
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tkorpal

28 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2015 :  07:15:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have a 2012 IC CE with a dual pane drivers window, this is the only bus i have seen with this window. its fogging up like your house windows do when the seal is broken. our buses age out on warranty so it's out of warranty. i was just wondering if anyone out there has seen this. thank you.

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2015 :  5:50:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our 2010's have this option and my bus actually which is a '10 within the last week has had this issue. It's been fine and it seems suddenly the seal was broken and now it's fogging up pretty bad. Almost every single one of our 2010 and older IC's are doing this in the door panels, and the passenger window by the door side which is also dual pane. Definitely not a problem unique to your buses.
Go to Top of Page

bfaulkner

168 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2015 :  12:23:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit bfaulkner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have many ICs that did this. we had all the glass in our drivers windows and student doors replaced with standard single pain glass. the local glass company did it for us and made the proper seals.
Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2015 :  7:30:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The problem with doing that is that you're eliminating the reason for the thermo-pane glass in the first place, that being visibility. I can't tell you how many times I'm coming out onto a road at a strange angle, need to look over my right shoulder and the windows are so fogged up from the kids breathing (how dare they) I have to ask them to clear the window for me. The dual pane glass is nice because as long as the seal doesn't break, it won't fog. It's a shame they can't just engineer this stuff to last.
Go to Top of Page

bfaulkner

168 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2015 :  08:11:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit bfaulkner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have not had any drivers complain that it fogs from the kids more. of course if it is your preference to keep it dual pane then it can be bought but it is expensive.

Another idea is Rain-x anti fog. It does work but has to be reapplied every month. we tried it a bit but found it a hassle and it became a driver responsibility.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2015 :  09:44:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Iowa, we are required to have thermopane windows in the drivers window and upper entrance door windows PLUS any windows in front of entrance door or drivers window (examples; transit bus, bus on cutaway van chassis or Thomas C2).

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback

Edited by - Fastback on 08/06/2015 09:45:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

Cal Mc
Advanced Member

303 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2015 :  8:52:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cal Mc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
To meet the D250 standard (the standard that school buses must meet) we are required to have thermal panes in all door glass, drivers sash windows, first passenger windows on left side and first two windows on the right side. 63 buses in our fleet and we have had to change at least 30 thermal glass units in the past two months (We do not operate in June and July.
To change the thermal units in the International buses we have found it easier to disassemble the units in the frame.
Go to Top of Page

dwight

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2015 :  01:55:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Believe it or not - Bluebird had the double glass option available since 1963. The entrance door had a rubber window molding with two channels. One glass was installed from the inside and the second glass installed from the outside with the rubber locking strip on each side.

The side top and bottom sash windows had a one piece storm window that was installed for the winter on the outside of the bus window and held in place with two pieces of sheet metal and screws.

Starting in 1964, the sealed double glass window became an option and now 51 years later you still have the problem and expense with moisture between the glass.

I ordered every type C and D school bus with 11 double glass windows in each bus starting in 1963.
At the first sign of moisture we removed and cut the glass apart and removed all sealer and have the clean glass resealed at a local glass company that reseals double glass windows one day each week. They use the latest and best process available at a present day cost of less than $50 per window.

By having a couple extra window units in your parts inventory you can swap out the bad windows without having to lay up the bus. The important part is to remove, clean and reseal the window before the moisture etches into the glass.

20 SCHOOL BUS FLEET OWNER/OPERATOR (Retired)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000