New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2015 :  08:53:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have this 05 bus with a 365 its failing smoke test to much black smoke when reving up there are no codes bus runs fine did injector test everything comes up fine any ideas

mastertech
Advanced Member

274 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2015 :  7:24:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit mastertech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Id say face plugging in the cat/muffler. Extremely common .
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2015 :  10:25:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
your sayin the muffler is clogged causeing black smoke?
Go to Top of Page

mastertech
Advanced Member

274 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2015 :  7:21:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit mastertech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When you get face plugging Ive seen the converter get a flow area the size of a quarter. The engine will be straining to deal with the backpressure and you get the same amount of fuel going in but it doesnt burn causing black smoke. An easy test for face pluggin is slide the muffler back and run it as a straight pipe. I cut a cleanout port in the ends of the muffler and wash the junk out of the honeycomb then weld the port back on. I also clean the egr valves and have a dummy plugged off egr valve for testing. I leave the original plugged in so the ecm doesnt know its blocked off. Of course the back pressure tubes and sensors all need to be checked/cleaned. Its kind of a system health check/tune up if you will. If I get an erams fault on a air test the turbo comes off as well and checked for sticking vanes and worn actuators.
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2015 :  08:53:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok thanks for info with slide muffler back and see if its plugged will let u no what i find
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2015 :  09:23:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd start at the air cleaner. Black smoke usually means the air:fuel ratio is off; either not enough air, or too much fuel.
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2015 :  10:00:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i took the air filter out and it passed inspection but it still smoked a little with it out so there is still a problem somewhere but it runs great so mot sure if an injector is hangin but was gonna try what mastertech said
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000