Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 new Thomas Bus C2 opinions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TheRide

107 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2015 :  2:38:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit TheRide's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We are going to be ordering a new bus soon and have an all IC fleet. we have been approached about a Thomas Bus by a guy that we have had good dealings with that has made a transition from IC service manager to a sales guy with Thomas. I was wanting to know how the new Thomas stacked up against IC, Blue Bird...I have only been around IC so I would be new to Thomas and Blue Bird. Whatever brand we go with this will be the first Cummins in our fleet. any info appreciated.

scoutmom2

17 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2015 :  7:47:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is my opinion, but after driving a 2008/2010 IC for the school year, it is hard to drive a new Thomas. There are more and larger windows and the windshield is much bigger on the Thomas than the IC. We have a few 2013/2014 Thomas buses and just driving them around the lot was tricky for me. Other drivers like them and do not see the difference. The controls are similar to the IC, they are on the left side of the driver for the most part, but not in similar spots to the IC. The bus does emit an alarm if the parking brake is not engaged, something the IC does not do in older models.
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2015 :  03:40:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have 2 C-2's (2013) in our fleet and I would take more of them over and IC bus any day. We have 20 some IC buses. The body of the Thomas is much more solid, the windows stay up, screws don't fall out of the ceiling, the switches all stay in place and over all it rides smoother. You can see a whole lot more with the way the windows are designed. The only down side is a big blind spot at the right A pillar. We are currently in transition from IC to BlueBird. We aren't going Thomas mainly because of support, our dealer is too far away. If we can't go BlueBird due the powers higher then us, then we will go with Thomas. As long as I am here and have anything to do with purchasing we will never buy another IC bus.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

TheRide

107 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2015 :  05:04:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit TheRide's Homepage  Reply with Quote
he told us that he had a deal worked with a reputable heavy truck dealer to have them be a warranty and parts facility.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2015 :  05:29:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Be careful when getting a bus serviced by anyone who isn't experienced with school buses. I'm not sure of your experience in this field but you may or may not know there are things that may seem little to the general public that are a big deal when repairing a school buss. Good luck

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2015 :  06:17:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For late model buses we have both IC and Thomas, if the powers that be would just buy a new bus, I would take either.
Assuming Cummins power in both, IMO if IC has an advantage over the Thomas, its engine accessibility.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

TheRide

107 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2015 :  09:51:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit TheRide's Homepage  Reply with Quote
he said that they were going to dedicate a few of their top techs and send them to the factory in North Carolina for training on the buses...
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
469 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2015 :  10:41:57 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The new C2's have a three year warranty and you can get a ten year comprehensive warranty for the Cummins engine (highly recommended) for around 4200.00 a bus one turbo and after treatment failure and you will have all you money back! Our new C2's have been pretty much trouble free. Make sure you get access to Thomas on line and Freightliner access from whomever the Thomas bus sales main dealer is so you can check on some stuff yourself.
Go to Top of Page

TheRide

107 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2015 :  04:51:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit TheRide's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yes he said that the Thomas on line would come with it. I'll ask about the Freightliner access. He said that he coming from a service position will bring his scan tools in a situation to help diagnose any issues to help us in anyway. Also said that small warranty issues could be done by us and they would issue a parts credit to pay us for the warranty work. I did talk to the truck dealer to ask them about them taking care of Thomas warranty and parts. He said that it was going to happen, he just didn't know the time frame of when it would start.
Go to Top of Page

TheRide

107 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2015 :  4:32:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit TheRide's Homepage  Reply with Quote
He brought the bus down for a test drive last week. We were impressed with a lot of the differences between the Thomas and the IC buses we are used to. I can honestly say I didn't see one thing that IC does that I liked better. We will see what the powers that be decide to go with.
Go to Top of Page

Cal Mc
Advanced Member

303 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2015 :  9:08:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cal Mc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have 4 C2 buses out of a fleet of 65. The windshield damage in the 4 C2 buses has cost us more for repair than the rest of the fleet in the past year. The C2 buses were sent back (covered by warranty) to have the entire under side of the bus spray foamed to eliminate dust problems (did not help) Nice bus to operate but will not work in this area. Just ordered 4 new BB buses.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000