Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 1997 blue bird/ International bus starter wiring
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

familyman

16 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2015 :  11:09:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit familyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am working on a 1997 bus with a DT 466. When I turn the key to the start position, the starter does exactly as it should. When the bus starts and the key is released, the starter stays engaged like it is trying to start it. When you turn the key off it will stop everything just like it is supposed to. I thought that the starter might be hanging up so I pulled the starter relay and checked at the pigtail for what was happening. With relay removed and key turned to start I have power where to energize the starter circuit. When the key is released to the run position it still has power. I do not have any wiring schematics for this bus. Short of pulling all the relay wiring loose to trace it down does anyone have an idea of what might be going on? I replaced the ignition switch also with the exact same results.

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2015 :  11:26:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
assuming the battery and cables are good, try turning the switch to ignition and jumping the starter. this will at least eliminate a starter defect before to go chasing gremlins. ive seen similar starter problems occur when the starter solenoid doesnt get full voltage. hope that helps.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

familyman

16 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2015 :  04:31:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit familyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I can start the bus and run it like normal if I remove the starter relay and use a starter button with the key on. This makes me think the problem is somewhere besides the starter. Batteries are new and I have cleaned the connections. I believe the issue is in the wiring circuit going to the starter from the key. I can't see how it stays hot after the key is returned to the run position from the start position.
Go to Top of Page

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2015 :  11:05:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which starter relay did you check? I had a 1998 IC DT466e that had a starter relay that I didn't even realize was a starter relay until it started sticking- and doing exactly what you are talking about. In my case, the relay had gotten a little burnt when the truck was run out of fuel and they overloaded it trying to get it restarted.

Retrace the wires from the ign switch down. There is something screwy in there somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

familyman

16 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2015 :  07:42:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit familyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interesting eddo, just before it had this problem the driver ran it out of fuel. The starter relay that I pulled to check everything is located on the wiring harness that is coming down from the bulkhead connector.

But as stated above, with the relay removed the circuit is staying energized after the key is returned to the run position.

Edited by - familyman on 08/04/2015 09:35:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
469 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2015 :  5:46:54 PM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Look at your picture see the fat heater hose just under the radiator support rods at the top of the picture see those two boxes at an angle from each other one is an ECM relay and the other is a starter interlock relay. The one with purple wires is for the ECM the other is starter.
Go to Top of Page

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2015 :  07:40:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What Tigger2 said. :)
Familyman, the one you found on the wire harness is the one that I had no idea was a starter relay til it went bad. That is the one that had been sticking on my truck. Check the one up on the firewall, and I bet you'll find your issue.

If not, perhaps a burnt wire or two somewhere along the lines? Those wires get mighty hot when trying to restart after an out of fuel condition. In fact, I'd bet you have to put a starter on it within the next 6 months.
Go to Top of Page

familyman

16 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2015 :  04:38:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit familyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This bus has already had a starter. I will check the other relay and report back. I have been derailed from working on this spare bus because of hail damage to the fleet.
Go to Top of Page

familyman

16 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2015 :  05:00:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit familyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So I finally got to work on this bus again. The starter relay contact was fried so I replaced the relay. Starter is still staying engaged. I guess time has a way of helping you gain some perspective, I decided I should recheck the ignition switch. Sure enough, the switch is what is causing the issue. A new switch makes it right as rain.
Go to Top of Page

familyman

16 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2015 :  12:34:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit familyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I feel like I am going in circles with this bus. I thought that the ignition switch was the issue. We rarely use this bus but after I put the switch in, I moved it several times and started it at least a dozen times. The next time I went to drive it the starter would not disengage after the bus started. Sigh....
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000