New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2015 :  10:47:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thought I'd share this for the benefit of someone in the future. I have an old FS 65. 2003 I think. Anyway, the driver was complaining about the accessories staying on after the ignition is turned off. (this would be everything from fans, 8 ways, camera and even the two way radio) When I opened the access panel and pulled down the panel with board one and two mounted to it (or anytime I wiggled the board) I could hear a click and the accesories that the driver was talking about went off. So back and forth with my dealer about where to look. Looked on an old wiring diagram I had and was trying to see if my ignition switch was sending power over to the boards. I don't know if I have an old diagram or what but everything on the diagram that indicated power for the ignition circuit didn't even had a connector there. At any rate, after lunch (a lot of things get fixed around here after I've had a few minutes to think of something other than buses) I looked on the access panel door and found a relay marked "ignition relay-5". Looked at that relay and rust is "bleeding" from inside of it. Pulled it off and found rust but more importantly I found the spring that keeps the contacts in the off position had rusted and was no longer doing it's job. So, what was happening was when I was wiggling it the contacts were just swinging back and forth, making and breaking contact whenever they wanted. New relay fixed the problem. BTW, can't figure where the moisture is coming from. Everything looks dry and the door is making a good seal.

mastertech
Advanced Member

274 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2015 :  01:41:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit mastertech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Got to love the weird stuff. I drove into the lot one morning and found a strobe blinking on an older ic. Looking at the side of the bus there was brown streaks coming out of the access panel and under the stop sign. I found the driver had spilled coffee against the drivers window and it flowed down into the electrical panel . It filled up the accessory soleniod and electricity was flowing through the sludge between the contacts. Just enough to keep the strobe going but not enough to run anything else. Just another day .
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2015 :  04:00:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bwest, What part of the country are you in?

I have similar problems like that all the time but ours is due to the fact that we are a coastal county here in Georgia. The salt air and high humidity do some weird things with wiring and electrical.

The worse driver inflicted issue was a Pepsi spilled in the electrical panel of an IC CE300.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2015 :  1:02:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got to love those driver caused problems! I am fortunate enough that I have some pretty good drivers & not too much of that happens. I live in southern Illinois. So, there isn't too much in the way of salt (on the roads in the winter or in the air due to the ocean, lol). The things that happen here often are caused by rough gravel roads. Such as; premature tire wear, bent and broken brake lines due to gravel hitting them like a sand blaster, broken springs & the like. Just got word from one of our township maintenance guys to be on the look out for some paved roads turning back to gravel due to funding cuts. Argh! Gotta love Obama land.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

sambrutay
Advanced Member

United States
271 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2015 :  04:10:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
do you have the PC BOARD COVER TBB 134172 UPDATED PART # TBB 163820 installed?

Bruce
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2015 :  10:37:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guess not. What's that do?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2015 :  10:47:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, I've looked all over the internet (at least where google sends me) and I can't find a reference to the part numbers you are giving. I'll call my dealer and see what they say.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000