Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 MaxxForce fuel dilution
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2015 :  07:24:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I hate to beat a dead horse, but am I correct in saying that the biggest issues with fuel dilution on the MaxxForce DT engines are leaking pucks and injector o-rings? We have a few with extended cranking times and fuel filter lights coming on and we need to get these issues resolved as they are no longer under warranty, so it's on us now. Thanks!

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2015 :  08:32:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe the largest source of fuel dilution of the oil on 2007 emission DTs is caused by the in cylinder dosing for cleaning the DPF.
On the 2010 emission DTs they went to downstream dosing so excess fuel dilution could more likely be blamed on the sources you mentioned.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2015 :  08:44:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gotcha. I have one right now that the high exhaust temp light comes on rather frequently and has fuel dilution that has been on the rise according to the last 3 oil samples. We have not had the DPF cleaned yet, but that is one of the next things we will do.

What about low fuel pressure symptoms? Fuel filter lights coming on?
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2015 :  08:47:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the low fuel pressure symptom remove and clean the screen if it has one and also remove the fuel pump and clean it and the cavity it sets in. Sometimes trash accumulates in there.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

mysterytrain

34 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2015 :  09:06:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit mysterytrain's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As far as fuel pressure, cleaning is important and also cleaning the bottom of the bowl where the fuel filter sits i had trash from there get downstream and kill two injectors, now i blow the assy out. also fuel pressure regulators seem to be a little weak, have had some with a bad bounce from 30-60 psi, replace the regulator and rock steady at 66, with a bouncing fuel pressure you can get some wierd codes that don't seem to make sense but when you track down all on that "module" or system that is being affected it can be fuel pressure weather there is a code for it or not, or even if diagnostics don't mention fuel pressure for it.
Go to Top of Page

bfaulkner

168 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2015 :  11:03:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit bfaulkner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It was common on the early Maxxforce DTs to have the fuel pressure regulator go bad. If you get a new kit from the dealer it has an upgraded spring. Fairly easy to install on the bottom of the fuel filter housing.
Go to Top of Page

powers5507

1 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2015 :  07:56:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit powers5507's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There are a lot of things that could cause issues with dilution, also have found the shaft for the fuel lift pump to pass fuel into the oil, possibly why the low fuel psi light was on. also on a separate note when ordering the fuel psi regulator, make sure to specify to the parts man what year emission the engine is, both 07 and 10 emission engine have very similar regulators but the spring length is different. just food for thought.
Go to Top of Page

mysterytrain

34 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2015 :  06:41:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit mysterytrain's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As far as the fuel filter light coming on i have one 2006 that has been on since it left the factory, and it runs just fine, nobody has ever found out why the light is on, it has 66 psi fuel and the water indicator system is no longer hooked up.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000